Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What's In A Number?

Traveling does get old after awhile. One of the hardest things for me is remembering where I am or where I need to be.

When I’m staying in the same hotel every week, the first room I am assigned in that hotel sort of gets imprinted in my head. Last week, our first week at this audit, I was in room 316. Nice room, right off of the elevator.

We are up to week two, and I still have room 316 on my mind. However, I am down a floor and across the hall in room 219.

Monday night, I was exhausted when I was climbing into bed. I figured since I was so tired, I’d need more than the alarm on my phone to get my happy ass out of bed in the morning. So, I called down to the front desk and asked for a wake up call for room 319 at 5:30 a.m. The attendant downstairs told me she’d be happy to enter my wake up call for me before she added “but ma’am, you should know that you are actually in room 219, not 319.” Fine. Whatever.

I mean, what am I supposed to say? I had $0.99 margaritas at dinner and I’m not exactly sure of my room number? Even if you know I got it wrong, did you have to call me on it? I don’t need it pointed out that I’m an idiot that doesn’t know where she is!

So there. That was that.

Until last night.

I went down to the front desk last night to make a couple more reservations for my stay here as I know I’m going to be here at least six weeks. After we dispensed with all of that, I said, “oh, since I’m here, how about a wake up call in the morning at 5:30 a.m.?” She answered sure; she’d love to help me with that. She asked what room I was in. I told her 316.

Needless to say, this morning my phone never rang so I ended up taking one heck of a fast shower, just washing every other body part in order to meet my audit team on time in the lobby. I hate starting a day like that, in such a rush.

I think room 316 was good to me. Room 219 is also very nice, but I just don’t seem to have an attachment to it (obviously!). Wait until next week when I’m just going to walk up and down the halls trying my key in all of the doors until I find one that opens!

On the plus side, I had another nice note in my room tonight from the housekeeper! I didn't think the tip I left was THAT big! But, she does do a great job on my room, my things seem to be left alone, and she doesn't throw out my started bottles of shampoo. I see another call to a hotel manager about a great staff member in my immediate future. Perhaps I can keep her on retainer so she can leave me a trail of notes so I can find my room in the evening.

No comments: