Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Small Town America

It’s a new day and a new audit. For once, this one is west of me, so I’m not the one that was stuck driving since I was the farthest one out. This time my boss had to be the one to leave an hour early on Monday to come and get me, and on Friday he’ll get home an hour after I do. I like it! I’m on the right side of town this time!

This is a new audit for us, and it’s the first audit our client has had. It’s in the middle of nowhere, or at least close to it. The drive down showed us a lot of farm lands and a lot of nothing. I was definitely okay with that. Beats the hustle and bustle of downtown Buffalo for sure!

So far, the staff seems very nice and is really showing us the ropes around here and around town. They seem to feel badly for us since our hotel is “way on the other side of town!” After all, it takes us a whopping 10 minutes or so to get here in the morning! Darn those cross town drives!

Two other warnings I’ve received since yesterday:

1 – If you’re in the bathroom washing your hands, and someone flushes the toilet, get your hands OUT OF THE WATER. The cold water all seems to go to the toilets and the hot water is funneled to the sinks. People have been burned. I appreciate this advice.

2 – If you choose to go across the street to one of the two restaurants located there, you must walk to the corner and cross at the cross walk. Otherwise, you run the risk of a $95 jay-walking fine and from what I’ve been told, this street is monitored closely just for that purpose. Small towns gotta generate revenue any way they can, I guess.

As a side note, I wonder how much a speeding ticket is through town. I bet it’s cheaper than that jay-walking ticket!

Other than that, not much else is going on. I am back on the road again, so hopefully this will bring out some good stories from on the road.

1 comment:

Jim's Blog said...

As I start to read this one, do I faintly detect John Cougar Melloncamp music playing in the background? At least the place you are staying at had given fair warning about jay walking before someone actually got a ticket.