Thursday, May 17, 2007

Planes, Trains, Automobiles And Smoke Alarms Too

Ok, two out of four isn’t bad seeing as how I only have something to say about two out of the four listed.

We all know there are good train crossings (the ones with the lights and gates) and there are bad train crossings (no lights or gates). Has anyone ever seen a flashing light on a door that goes outside that signifies a passing train? I can now say that I have.

Most of our work is done in one building. But we do have a few contacts that we must meet with that are in the next building. Going out the side door, you have to first notice if the red lights are blinking that are over the big yellow sign that says “CAUTION! TRAINS”. I thought at first that was a typo. It’s not.

There is enough room to open the door if a train is on the tracks, but that’s about it. You have about two feet of room out there and then there is the train! Needless to say, it shakes the building as it goes by. I’m a little apprehensive about standing outside when a train is going by as it would only take a small shove from my boss to put me into the train. I’m not that willing to give him such an easy shot.

Today I did stand inside the building though as the train was going by. And for some reason, it made me giggle that I actually had to stand there, inside of the building, and wait for the train to go through so I could cross the way to go into the next building.

Yes, this job is sometimes an adventure.

And you know how I’ve been lately with fire alarms. I heard another one today, but this time, not at the hotel. This one was right at the audit site. To say I was indisposed when the alarm went off is an understatement. (Read: in the bathroom) I hurried to finish what I was in the middle of and hot footed it back to the department I am working with. The alarm is blaring and everyone is going about their business like nothing is happening. I did ask our contact if this was something that we should be worried about. She sort of looked around and said “oh, the alarm is going off.” Hmm. I took that as it was nothing to worry about!

A short time later, my audit team and I left for lunch and there was a fire department SUV parked outside. I’m assuming they were here testing the alarm which is why no one was worried about it. I guess I was too busy in the bathroom to get the memo on that one.

Have I mentioned that some days this job is an adventure?

No comments: