Wednesday, May 31, 2006

And The Next Excuse Is . . .

The roof saga continues. As we all know, this joker took my deposit for my roof last July and it's been a battle to get him to start. He finally showed up to start the job last Monday, May 22nd. He worked Monday, uh - he musta been busy on Tuesday because he wasn't here. Wednesday I had a crew, but only part of Thursday because they had a picnic to go to and then we had a storm Thursday afternoon. Thursday night Ron and I got to strategically place pots and wastebaskets in the attic to catch the rain. Friday one guy was here, cleaning up the shingles out of the yard and taking a magnet through the yard picking up the nails, but nobody was on the roof.

Last week, the temperatures around here were pretty decent. Nice days, breezes blowing, not too hot. It would have been a good week to finish a roof! Alas, it was not to be. Tuesday I had a vacation day to give me a nice long four day weekend. I was awakened to the sounds of hammering at 7:50 a.m.! Hey, I will not complain about the roofers waking me up with work. What gets me is they are out there in full force on the hottest day of the year so far. The temps got up into the 90s Tuesday. They had to be melting up there.

Then came the next excuse. I went out in the early afternoon to fill my bird feeders. My roofer catches up to me and we start chit chatting. I thought it was just friendly chit chat. Then he drops the bomb. They are out of material. OUT of material. How can he be OUT of freakin' material? Of course, I had to pick special order shingles, so I don't know how long it's going to take the next order to show up here. What I do know is we are expecting rain for the rest of this week, so we're looking into June for completion.

I should start a pool. Name the date the roof will be completed. If this takes much longer, we'll move it out to guess which month...or maybe which year.

No comments: