Monday, May 08, 2006

Don't Look At My Legs

We had a pretty good weekend. Especially since we did all of our shopping in one day, including buying me a footstool! I’ve have been trying to do that for quite some time now.

I know that sounds easy, but you go out and try buying a footstool. Now, I didn’t want a Cadillac of footstools. I just wanted something about this high, with some padding so my feet weren’t resting on wood or plastic. That didn’t sound too difficult but we couldn’t find anything at K-mart or Wal-Mart. So now I’m trying to think of who else would have a footstool. We figured we’d try some furniture stores.

One of the places I wanted to try was Value City Furniture. Ron and I are off to have some adventures on Saturday, the first of which is finding Value City Furniture. If you can picture this, we have Ron driving and ME navigating. That thought alone should scare you.

I kept telling him there is a Value City Furniture on Route 57. “Somewhere over there around Broad Street, or maybe Cleveland Street or somewhere over there”. With gas prices what they are, you’d think I’ve have some sort of clue as to where I was going before we started out. But, like I said, this was to be a day of adventures.

After driving up and down Route 57 I came to the conclusion finally that I didn’t have a clue where I was going. I think I was mistaking Big Lots on Route 57 and Broad Street for Value City Furniture. Oh well. They are close. So I did what I do every time I’m lost. No, I didn’t reach for the GPS. I called my brother Michael! I told him where I was and asked him how to get to Value City Furniture. For the record, I wasn’t even close. But, of course he knew where I wanted to be and told me how to get there from where I was. With these new directions, we got to where we were going.

The best news is that they had exactly what I wanted. It’s a foam cube about 1-1/2 foot square, with a fabric covering zipped around it. It came in a plethora of colors of which we chose the tan one. (Ron was lobbying for the purple one but I used a veto on that idea.) Even better, the footstool was all of $20! Now that’s my kind of price.

As a side note, we had one of the coolest salespeople, Pam. She was very entertaining and was happy to show us all over the store, just for a footstool. Her mission was a success as I found just the one I wanted. When she went to ring me up, with everything computerized now, they want to add your life story in their system whenever you buy something. We both said c’mon now, it’s a $20 footstool. So, instead of me spending 10 minutes spelling my last name to her, she said she’d just make something up. When I got my bill of sale, I see my name is Harry Legs! The three of us were howling in the store. What I want to know now is - how did she know?

No comments: