Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Where Am I?

I have so much to write about I just haven't had the time to sit down and write it. Sometimes life flies by a little too quickly.

Let's start with yesterday. It was a comedy of errors from beginning to end. Some days are just like that.

The highlights of the day were that last night I was meeting my old boss for dinner. We were meeting at a really cool restaurant, right across the street from the airport. I guess I was too excited about seeing her after such a long absence since I showed up at the restaurant almost an hour early. It was a gorgeous day yesterday though, so I didn't mind. I have absolutely no problem sitting in my car and waiting. I usually have a book in my car, but with this location, I was able to watch the planes landing and taking off at the airport. Not a bad way to kill some time especially when I didn't have to be on one of those planes! Well, I was sitting there in my car and decided I couldn't wait the hour, my bladder was full.

I didn't want to go into the restaurant that early, so I figured I know that airport like the back of my hand, there's free 30 minute parking, I could just run to the airport, head to baggage claim and go pee. It's good in theory, isn't it?

I am used to walking out of baggage claim from the parking lot, not in to it. It shouldn't be that difficult, but the airport has this thing with escalators. One escalator is actually two stories non stop and that one takes you up to ticketing. There is a smaller one story escalator that takes you up to baggage claim. I missed the correct escalator and ended up one floor too high in ticketing.

Now, I have no special affinity to the ladies' room in baggage claim, so I figured any one would do. In case anyone is interested, there are no public restrooms on the level of ticketing. Trust me, I looked. So, off to find my way back down one floor to the bathrooms I know.

Again, this sounds easier that it was. I couldn't find steps or an escalator, but I did find an elevator. That worked for me. I pushed the button and waited. Keep in mind, now I'm doing my potty dance. People, I got to GO. The elevator couldn't come quickly enough for me. Finally, the door opens but there is a family inside. I don't care, I get in anyway. Unfortunately I think their idea of a fun time in Cleveland was letting the kids push all the buttons in the elevator and just go up and down and up and down. I don't think they were understanding the urgency of my situation. Finally, the door opened somehow on a level above ticketing, and I was forced to climb over their luggage cart and out of the freaking elevator. I should have peed in their bags just for the aggravation, but alas, I had more control than I thought.

Finally, I find another elevator and took it directly to BC. That's baggage claim in layman's terms. Aah, this was close to Nirvana as far as I was concerned. Once out of the elevator, I ran to the ladies room. For anyone concerned, yes I did make it in time.

I finished up, washed my hands, and I was back to familiar territory. I have flown into that airport so many times I definitely know the way from baggage to the parking garage. Piece of cake. I even made it to the ticket booth at the exit before my 30 minutes was up, so parking was indeed free. Bonus!

I was back in the parking lot of the restaurant before I knew it. I had time to watch a few planes take off and then it was time to go in.

It was so great to see my former boss again! We had an awesome dinner and a lot of chit chat, catching up on life and the people we used to work with. We had a bad ending to that job, as the company closed our local office and put us all out on the street. It was a bad time in all of our lives, but I think a lot of good came out of it. I will never say I miss the job, but I sure do miss the people.

You'd think that my story would end there. HA! There is still the drive home!

I know the way home from the airport. Honest, I do. But, I was trying to be a little creative in my route. I should have taken the turnpike for the fastest way home. But, with all of the construction still going on, I figured I'd bypass that and take an alternate route home. Sounds good, right?

I even happened to get a phone call from brother Mike on my drive home. As we all know, he has been my navigator since I moved to Ohio. Who else could help me find my way home over the phone when I would call him, tell him I'm next to a blue house and can't find my way! He always knew where I was lost at and has been able to redirect me and get me to where I needed to go.

Last night however, I think his Mojo was off.

Mike and I were chatting when I was deciding not to take the turnpike. No big deal, I'm very familiar with this area. I stayed on Route 10, thinking I'll just take it to 57. We are chatting. Then I see the sign for Route 83. Hey, change of plans! I like 83. I decide to take Route 83 to Route 20 to 57. In my mind, a much better route. We are still chatting. I guess I can't multitask! I turn onto Route 83. We are talking. Talking. Talking.

Next thing I know, I'm crossing Route 82. How can that be? That should be behind me. Hmm, maybe they moved it. Hey! That BP refinery is on the left...why? It's always on the right when I'm heading home...HEY! Oh CRAP. Mike realizes I'm having issues and asks me what direction I'm heading. That compass in my car has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion. I look and sure enough, I'm heading south. And yes, I should have been heading north. CRAP. So, Mike, always helpful, gave me great advice. He said . . . Uh, turn around and head back the other way! Yes! That's why we keep him around. Once again, he helps me find my way home.

He also did mention in passing that maybe I shouldn't be allowed to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. No kidding. Then again, I don't think I should be able to drive anymore. I need a good chauffeur. Any takers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, when you initiate your direction giver, do you go "Mike, Mike, I am lost. Give me alternate directions?" Like in that commercial for Tom Tom

Anonymous said...

After the week I just had, you don't know just how close I am to take your job as your driver.