Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Fooled Me

It's rainy today. I left for lunch and took my umbrella with me because I thought I'd need to by the time I got back from lunch. Sure enough, it came down hard for a little bit while I was driving out of here but then it let up. It was just a little over a sprinkle by the time I got back.

I hate carrying an umbrella. I figure that since I haven't melted by now, I'm probably in no danger in a little water. I thought I could just walk a little briskly from the car, through the parking lot, across the street, through one building, through a courtyard and into the next building and be nothing more than just a little damn.

Fooled me!

I did walk through the parking lot, across the street, through one building and into the courtyard (all the while carrying my closed umbrella tucked under my arm of course) when I realized that I left my wallet in my car in full view. Since I happen to be carrying a fortune in the wallet at the moment (a whole $20!) I thought it prudent to walk back through everything and retrieve my wallet. So there I went, back to my car.

I reached into my car to get my wallet and as I was straightening back up, it started to rain just a little harder. Now a smart person would have bitten the bullet and just opened the damn umbrella and started the walk over again under the security of the umbrella. Unfortunately, I'm not a smart person.

Plus, I didn't know who was watching out the windows at me, seeing me stupid enough to walk through the parking lot and across the street once in the rain with an umbrella tucked under my arm, just to walk back across the street and through the parking lot in the rain, with the same umbrella still tucked under my arm and if I opened my umbrella now, they'd know I was an idiot! If I just remained calm and kept walking like nothing was wrong, perhaps I could fool them.

So that is what I did. Back through the parking lot and across the street now for the third time, through the building, through the courtyard and into the next building. I'm a little more than damp, but at least no one watching thinks I'm stupid.

No comments: