Sunday, February 17, 2013

Share and Relish - Zero Point Veggie Soup


I have been making this recipe for awhile now and I'm telling you, it's so versatile, it never is made the same way twice.  And each time I make it, I swear it's better than the last batch.  So my best advice for this one is to play with it and make it yours.  This is a good basic to get started but you can go ANYwhere with it!

Originally, this was a recipe from Weight Watchers.  I made it exactly like the recipe and I just didn't care for it.  But, even I could tell it had potential!  First off, I got rid of the spice mixture of basil, oregano etc.  Hey, if that's what floats your boat, put it back in.  But here is the way I made the soup tonight.  Again, play with it and find your favorite version!  The best part of this soup is that it's ZERO POINTS which means that I can eat as much of it as I want!  Once in awhile, you need a food like this.  Something you can eat and eat and eat and not feel guilty.  Keep in mind if you're with Weight Watchers that this version is zero points.  Depending on what you substitute, it may no longer be zero points!  Make smart choices!

Ingredients:

1 spray (or 1 tsp) olive oil
1/2 cup chopped vidalia onion
1 handful of mushrooms
1 container (32 oz) of 99% FAT FREE chicken broth (or 99% fat free beef or vegetable broth.  I just prefer the chicken)
2 to 3 carrots, sliced to 1/8" pieces
2 cups chopped cabbage
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup butternut squash
Tony Chachere's creole seasoning to taste

In a large sauce pan, I used one spray or one teaspoon of olive oil.  Once it got hot, I added the one half cup of onion.



There's not a lot of oil in this pan so it's hard to saute the onions.  But, I cook them long enough to get them soft.  This was a good time to put in the mushroom and get them a little time in the hot pan.


Once the mushroom start to sweat, I added the broth.  I've tried all three, the chicken, beef and veggie.  My personal favorite was the chicken.  Whatever you use, if you're going for zero points, make sure it's the FAT FREE broth.  Also,  I buy whatever brand is on sale that week.  They are all good!




Add the carrots, cabbage and tomato paste.  I then put enough Tony Chachere's creole seasoning to cover the top.  This will really give this soup a kick, so please season to taste!


Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes.  Add the butternut squash, recover and cook another 10 minutes or so until the carrots and squash are the consistency you like.

This pot should be full of veggies and light on broth.  You want a filling soup!  I guessed on some of the quantities, I eye ball a lot on this one.  I know the major veggie I use is the cabbage.  That's a lot of bulk for no points!  But, lessen the cabbage and add spinach, or kale or swiss chard or any other leafy green you can think of.  Also, instead of butternut squash, I have used zucchini.  But like the squash, the zucchini won't take as long to cook so add it towards the end.

This really is a fun soup to put together and once I got rid of the original Italian type seasonings and went with the spicier creaole, this was one of my new favorite things.  

Enjoy!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum, just the right for curing our flu. Wish you could send some soup through the wire. I can't remember being so sick for years.

Great you managed to post another recipe. Because here is too much work I don't manage to cook and so there haven't been any recipes the last months. :(

Hope times get better and I also can post a tasty recipe like this.

Hugs!