Thursday, February 07, 2013

Another Obsession

Ok, maybe obsession is too strong of a word.  But this is something I really, really, really, REALLY like!

One of my favorite places in the world is the San Diego Zoo.  If you've never been there, seriously, this needs to be on your bucket list.  It is so worth the experience.  If you are in the area, call my friends David and Edna while you're in San Diego!  They are the best San Diego tour guides and just all around good people. 

When Ron and I were in San Diego with David and Edna a few years back, this zoo is one of the places I fell in love with.  One of the huge draws at the San Diego Zoo is the giant pandas.  We were lucky when we were there, to see a baby panda that was on display at the time.  The line to get into the panda exhibit at the time was NUTS.  And for real, with so many people waiting to get a glimpse of this little miracle, there really was no time to stand there and enjoy the moment.  You walked in, got a glimpse, and had to leave.

Now I have found my new love.  We all love babies whether it's baby people or baby animals.  You gotta love a baby.  The newest giant panda born at the San Diego Zoo was last year on my Dad's birthday, July 29th.  Baby giant panda cub Xiao Liwu is on display daily and available on a live cam feed!  I can't get enough of this baby!

I find myself checking in on baby Mr. Wu (as he's affectionately called) at odd times during the day.  I am fascinated with watching him take a nap and have even worried that his breathing isn't "right".  It's a good thing there isn't an 800 number for the giant panda caregivers or I'd be on the horn with them all day long.  Watching little Mr. Wu fall out of a tree is heart breaking!  The vet has recently said not to worry, it's expected for the baby to fall out of the trees.  Often.  It's how he learns.  He's in great shape and he bounces!  (It's true!!)  I love watching Mom Bai Yun munching on some bamboo, playing with Mr. Wu or just enjoying a nap herself.

My favorite part is when Xiao Liwu is napping on one of his favorite spots when mama comes to mess with him.  She will sit on him and just nudge him and nudge him until he moves and she takes over his spot!

I love the San Diego Zoo and I love the giant pandas, especially the new baby Xiao Liwu.  Check him out.  I can watch him all day!  I dare you not to fall in love with him too.

San Diego Zoo Giant Panda Cam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link and the wonderful story Ree! I have beenalso sometimes obsessed by webcams. None of the was so nice like this one with the littel panda baby.I used to wath some ghost cams (what a nonsense, I know!), the volcano Mt St Helens how it is fuming, the pedestrians in Tallinn, Estonia, in the city and how the city slowly changed after 1990, a webcam in the city of Warburg which is 7 kilometers apart from us and of course a webcam in Erie in French Street. You see, I love webcams. They are great! It is as if you were personally there.

Unknown said...

I love me that baby panda!

I did not know about the webcam on French Street! Is it still there?? Can you send me the link???

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

No, it moved to 10th Street. I'm not sure if it is still there. I'M going to look for the link. Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, 12th Street, sorry, but here's the link: http://www.camcentral.com/camviewer.php?script=listings&task=list&item=state&show=Pennsylvania&page=1&id=15742

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!

HUGS!!