Monday, October 01, 2012

Share and Relish - Part 2 of Brussel Sprouts


The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do this recipe with the brussel sprouts as well.  It's more work but so worth it.

I changed up my original recipe for this dish to make it a little friendlier on the points.  Adjust to your liking.  This is how I made it on Sunday.


Ingredients:

8 oz uncooked egg noodles
1 lb (or there abouts) of brussel sprouts
1 medium sweet onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2-1/2 Tbsp butter
2-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (out of the can, last minute idea so I didn't have fresh on hand)
1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
Salt
Pepper

The longest prep time is getting the leaves off of the heads of brussel sprouts.  Trust me though, put the time in to this because it really IS worth it!  I keep trimming up the stem so that loosens more and more leaves.  I do one head at a time.  If you know an easier way, please tell me!  I didn't measure the brussel sprouts, I just kept going until I had a big bowl full.


Adding the butter and the olive oil to the pan, I chopped the onion and started them sauteing.


I probably let them cook 3 or 4 minutes and then added the brussel sprout leaves to the onions.  Stir occasionally and let the leaves cook down, about 30 minutes.


Salt and pepper to taste.

While this is cooking, I get my water going for the pasta.  Any pasta will do.  My original recipe called for fettuccine but I like to use the wide egg noodles for this one.  I also started toasting the walnuts now.

I like to just put them in a pan


and cook them on the stove top.  It takes maybe 5 minutes for the oils to start releasing and the smell to come out of them.  I had a full stove top though so I put them in the oven for maybe 10 or 12 minutes.

(Note to self - when you put the frying pan in the oven to toast something, don't just use it right away on the stove top to cook something.  I freakin' burned myself TWICE by grabbing the handle before it cooled down enough.  But, I digress.)

Pour out the walnuts on a cutting board to cool.  Once cool, chop them up finely.


Here is a Weight Watchers tip:  When you are adding something into a recipe for flavor and it's high in points, use a little but chop it finely.  1/2 cup of walnuts went a far way in this recipe.  That was 11 points just for 1/2 cup of walnuts!  But, I pared this down from the original amount stated in the recipe.  And, chopping them fine, they went all through the dish and I was able to still taste walnuts in every bite.

Drain the pasta, put back in the pan and add the brussel sprout mix and the walnuts.  I added then 4 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese and mixed well.  I forgot about taking a picture of the finished product until after Ron and I scooped some out for dinner!  But you get the idea!


Totally one of my favorite ways to make brussel sprouts.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a very unusual recipe and it looks and sounds totally yummy! I wrote it down and put it to my recipe collection. Tahnk you, Ree!