Saturday, May 26, 2012

Dental Update

Ok, I had to go off of the pain pills so I guess my head is back together.  It used to be that Codeine gave me migraines.  It looks like I can now add Vicodin to that list of things I can't take.  What a wicked headache.  No fair.

Yesterday, Phil took me to the dentist and waited for me.  Then he had the task of watching over me yesterday as I had little to no idea where I was for awhile.  Based on my pain level today, that was probably a good thing!

I'm not blaming any of this on the dentist.  He did what he had to do and this is all my fault for putting this work off for so long.  I have to give kudos so far though to the dentist, Dr. Scott Nagy of Elyria.  I'm really glad he was recommended to me.

I got there yesterday and had to sign the release form.  THAT is enough to scare anyone one off of ANY surgery.  You should never have to sign those the day OF your procedure.  Keep in mind, this is a form letter than you have to initial each line stating that you understand the possible side effects or dangers of your procedure.  I was ok until I got to the line that said something like "the possibility of a broken jaw if they are extracting a tooth on the bottom".  Yikes!  I initialed it and moved on.  What the heck else are you going to do!

As soon as I had the forms signed, Alicia came and took me back to the procedure room.  I was hooked up to the pulse meter, the blood pressure cuff (by the way, it was through the roof!) and the nasal cannula with oxygen.  So far, so good.  As a side note, this is the first time I've been to a dentist's office where they actually had something to look at on the ceiling!  Once you're laid back in that chair, you should have something to look at other than the ceiling light.  Each room I've been in had something different, but each had something good to look at.  This office gets points for that!

Then, Dr. Nagy came in to start the IV.   The actual IV seemed to go in very easily.  The three of us were talking a bit and suddenly, I started to get a little dizzy.  I mentioned that to Dr. Nagy thinking I'm just REALLY nervous.  He said he had started the relaxation meds and that was what I was starting to feel.  Ok, that calmed me that it wasn't just me.  I started to enjoy the buzz.  Then, he said that he was starting the second medication and this one will come on me slowly then I should be VERY relaxed.  For real, I could feel it come over me just like he said.  THAT was almost worth the $377 I paid for it!   As I was going under, I felt both Dr. Nagy and Alicia each had a hand on my shoulder and both of them took turns telling me that I was going to be ok and that they were going to take care of me.  It was very calming and I slipped to sleep peacefully.  That was pretty much all I remember. 

I woke a few times during the procedure but I never felt any pain.  I felt them moving, or pressure or little things like that, but I was in no way in pain or uncomfortable.  The next thing I knew, Alicia was there talking to me, telling me we were all done and asking me to try to keep my eyes open!  So much for my nap!  Once I could hold my eyes open, she said that Phil was ready to take me home.  Alicia helped me right out to Phil's car and home we came.

Honestly, I don't remember much about yesterday.  Phil got me into the house and on to the couch then went to get my prescriptions filled.  He came home, medicated me, then kept track of when I was do what meds.  I remained clueless while Phil had me changing my gauze and taking my meds!  It was not my day to be in charge, for sure.  Thanks, brother!  I sincerely appreciate your help yesterday.

As the sedation wore off, the pain pills helped but the pain set in last night around dinner time.  I stocked up on soft foods and meal replacement drinks which was all I could handle yesterday and today.  Dr. Nagy did call me last night around 10:00 to check on me.  I told him where my jaw hurt, and he said that was to be expected.  He answered the few questions I had, reiterated my instructions for the next few days and that was that.  I was to continue what I was doing and take it easy this weekend.  That was the easy part!

Now that I've stopped the Vicodin, the migraine has gone away.  My jaw still hurts like hell, but as my sister Cathie reminded me, the day after my back surgery was the worst so hopefully that means that today will be the worst.  Here's hoping tomorrow makes everything all better.

There you go.  I made it through one of the worst things we all have to go through - the dentist!  Again, thanks to brother Phil for all of the help and a huge thank you to Dr. Nagy and his staff.  I felt like I was in great hands from beginning to end.  The tooth is out, the bone graft is in and I have two new fillings.  I know I need some more work done and that will have to wait until I build my bank account back up.  But, once I have some money aside, I will go back and see Dr. Nagy and his staff.  I'm still afraid of dentists, but if you have to go to one, he's a great one to go to!

Here's hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Oh ree, I'm so afraid of the dentist. Your update makes me sweat of fear. Good you are through all this. I hope you are better today and I think that it will be better every day from now on.
Ha, I supposed codein being responsible for the bad migraine I always have when I take it because of the still bad cough I have got. Now I know that it's true.
Get well soon, my dear friend! I'm thinking of you! Greetings to all of you, also big bro Phil, who sent me those awesome pics of a flying peaock!
HUGS! Get well! Get well!