Friday, May 11, 2012

He Fixed It

While I don't think I'm very materialistic, I do own a few items that I do NOT want to live without.  My little Black and Decker rice steamer?  If it broke now, I'd be at Walmart tonight replacing it.  I love my steamer for my veggies.  I do NOT want to live without it.

My other must have item is my Shark Steam Mop.  Hmm, so I have a thing for steam?  It didn't hit me until I was typing this up!  But, I love my Shark Steam Mop!  I bought one of the first ones out, so it's just a basic steam mop.  I know the newer versions have more attachments and more bells and whistles.  Mine just steam cleans my floors.  All of my floors.  Hard wood floors?  Cleans like a champ.  Vinyl floors?   I've never had them cleaner.  I know I've blogged about this before but now especially with the cats, I love the fact that I am not putting chemicals on my floor.  It cleans with only steam and my floors feel great when I'm done.  I think a lot of cleaners you just still feel on your floor when you're done.  Not with this.  Easy, peasy.

If you google the Shark steam mop, I think a common problem with the mops is the design of the handle.  If it's going to break, that's where it's going to happen.  The handle is just too flimsy to handle the pressure.  You have to bear down on the mop to release the steam and you do that repeatedly over your floor.  The last time I was cleaning my kitchen floor, the handle gave way.  The handle thingie itself came off of the pole that goes to the mop head part.  (Too technical for you?  Sorry!)

I yelled upstairs to Ron asking him for his smallest Phillips head screwdriver.  I can FIX this!  And, Ron has screwdrivers in every shape and size, and most of them live in his pockets.  He gave me the perfect size for the job and I went downstairs thinking I had this one licked.  I thought that one of the screws just came loose and that I could fix it just with a little tightening.  That did NOT work.  Upon closer inspection, I saw that one of the screws was broken off completely, so no amount of screwing was going to help.

On to Plan B.  I grabbed a few industrial strength rubber bands and tried to hold it together that way to finish my floor.  NOT.  I finally gave up, threw the handle and swore like a Marine while I finished my kitchen floor.  Luckily, I only had about a four foot square to finish so at least I got through most of it without breaking my back.

Ron can't stand a woman in distress and man was I distressed.  I was distressed at the thought of spending another $50 to $70 bucks on another Shark Steam Mop!  But I did NOT want to live without it and I DID want to run right to WalMart to make me whole again.

But Ron came to my rescue.  He asked to see the mop, and he thought he could put it back together to be better and stronger than it was before!  Hey, I was all about it!  Anything to save me a trip to the store to replace it.  I heard noise coming from the basement.  He was serious about this repair.  I heard banging, I heard a drill and then I heard more banging.

Suddenly, he hands me my trusted friend, my Shark steam mop.  It was BEAUTIFUL!  And best of all, it was FIXED!!  Yes, Ron can fix anything!


I immediately grabbed my camera telling him that this was a blog worthy story.  He felt terrible since he said he did not have the right sized bolts and that he didn't do a good job in fixing it.  Are you kidding me?  Read up higher about what I said about this repair job.  My mop is BEAUTIFUL!!! 


And, my mop is FIXED!  Life is good in the mop department.  I think I can clean my floors from now until the cows come home and this baby should stay together.

Thank you honey.  You did a GREAT job!!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Wow, greeat job! Can you send me Ron over here? I have a lot of things that culd be fixed. ;o)

These companies are terrible. There was an investigation in the German TV about all sorts of devices for household, gardenand so on. The result was that they always use omponents that must get busted shortly after the guarantee is over. It's their system to make profit. Because repairing the devices is too costly people buy new ones. Good to have someone like Ron!