Sunday, March 28, 2010

I Ate A Bug

Yes, I did. I ate a bug. Eww. But, more on that later in this blog!

Saturday, Ron and I had an adventure day. We started our day heading down to Barberton Ohio, Ron's hometown, to meet up with two of my favorite people! Ron's cousin Tom and Tom's wife Margie. I've said it before and I'll say it again - these people are a party looking to happen! We met up at Hopocan Gardens, one of the chicken houses in Barberton. Here is Tom and Ron and then a reluctant Margie! Thanks for finally relenting to the picture!



In case no one knows, Barberton is the fried chicken capital of the world! They make what is known as Barberton Chicken. We met up at Hopocan Gardens to chow down on some chicken. I wish I'd have taken a picture of the food but to be honest, it was wolfed down so fast, I didn't have a chance.

Let me tell you, we all left fat and happy after that meal. For real, if you're ever in or near Barberton, find one of the chicken houses. You won't regret it.

After we had lunch and caught up, Ron and I headed over to another of my favorite places in Barberton, Lake Anna.


This place is just gorgeous. Every time we make it to Barberton, we try to walk around the lake. Here are just a few views of what is at Lake Anna.




I'm not lying, this place is just gorgeous. There are many activities available at the park. People are out walking, fishing, playing. In the summertime, bands play there for free. It's such a asset to this community.




The city also rents swans for the lake. The city brings them to the lake in the spring and takes them back in the fall. They are such beautiful birds, these pictures won't do them justice.




The lake was playing host to so many ducks and Canadian geese, I couldn't count them all. However, I counted five swans, and there was definitely some love in the air between two of them. This swan dance was awesome to see.



Now, here is the bad part. As we were walking around the lake and checking out what there was to see, a bug flew in my mouth and down my throat. At first, you're like "what??" Then as soon as you start thinking about the fact that you just ate a bug, the gag reflex starts! Eww! I'm standing there, in the middle of this beautiful park, hacking away, trying not to throw up my recently eaten Barberton Chicken! Yeah, how's that for a visual! But, it all ended up staying down and I went on with the day like the trooper that I am. Bonus protein!

After the lake we went and saw a few more sights and then ended the day with a trip to my favorite ice cream place, Sweet Henrie's in Norton. Holy crap, their stuff is awesome! I hear they also serve food but all we've ever gotten there is dessert. It's worth the trip, let me tell you. Although, one bad thing did happen while we were here. In the midst of my double scoop of rainbow sherbet it happened. Brain freeze behind my right eye! Dang that hurt! The sherbet was well worth it, but c'mon now. When is the last time you had brain freeze?

We decided to take the scenic route home and man am I glad we did! Memories of Dad just jumped into my head as we passed this farm full of sheep! I asked Ron to pull over and I jumped out and started snapping pictures. I am my father's daughter. Well, if Dad were here, he'd have walked up to the fence and called the sheep over to give them a little scratch behind the ear, but I was happy with a few photos. This made for the perfect ride in the country experience.



Like I said, it was just a great day all around, in spite of eating a bug and getting brain freeze. Another successful Saturday adventure.

And, in the end, a few pictures of us enjoying Lake Anna.


No comments: