Monday, March 22, 2010

It Looked Like My Garbage

I am anal about so many things.

Friday morning is our garbage pick up day and I do my best to recycle what I can. I buy those big 30 gallon blue bags from Sam's Club and it will take us a couple of weeks to fill them up.

Friday night when the three of us left for dinner, I saw a 30 gallon blue bag on the side of the road a couple of blocks from my house. In this blue bag was a jug of Clorox. I knew I threw out a jug of Clorox this week! Holy crap! Is this my blue bag of garbage??? I couldn't wrap my mind around why MY bag of recycles would be on the tree line a few blocks from my house but doggone it, it sure looked like my garbage.

I'm not afraid of anyone seeing in our recycle bag since it's the normal household recycle items. Soda bottles, maybe a liquor bottle or two, spaghetti sauce jars etc and of course, my Clorox! But this really bothered me that MY bag could be littering up the street. We passed it a couple of times Friday night and it just really bothered me.

I went out Saturday morning and the first place I headed to was that damn garbage bag. I was obsessed with it. I thought I'm going to throw it in my trunk, put it on the side of my house with the rest of the garbage and put it back out next Friday morning. Then perhaps I could quit obsessing about it.

I actually pulled over and looked closer at the bag. Yeah, not my garbage! I saw an egg carton in the blue bag and I know for sure I didn't throw out an egg carton in the last couple of weeks! Plus, there were some juice bottles in there that I know I don't buy! Whew! Mystery solved!

I guess in my small mind, I couldn't imagine that someone else in this neighborhood actually bought 30 gallon blue bags and emptied out a Clorox bottle this week. I know, I need a life.

Where this bag was sitting, there was a bunch of other garbage all around. A regular garbage bag was sitting up the block, there were tons of soda cans and bottles, fast food bags, etc. I do live in a messy neighborhood. While I did leave the recycle bag where it was with all of that other garbage, I couldn't believe what a mess was left in the park.

I gotta give some kudos to the city and I surely don't say THAT often. When I came back eight hours or so later, the park was cleaned up! The garbage bag, the recycle bag and a ton of loose litter had been picked up. Way to go, City Department! Great job!

No comments: