Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not To Worry, It's Just A Small Fire

You ever just have one of those days? One of those days that you wanted to throw your alarm clock across the room. One of those days when you hit every snooze your alarm clock had and still didn't want to get up? I guess I didn't sleep well last night and I just didn't have any oomph today.

But, I was up, washed, dressed and out the door on time. I am at my desk, working away when I decided I wanted breakfast. For real, we have a ton of food in the office! Or, at least I do.

I have an assortment of yogurts in the fridge along with those cups of ruby red grapefruit. I also have some Pop Tarts in my drawer. You have to understand my love affair with Pop Tarts. I think they are the perfect food! My personal favorite is Unfrosted Strawberry Pop Tarts. Trust me, I could live on them! Once in awhile though, I do buy a box of S'mores Pop Tarts. What can a tell you, sometimes a girl just needs chocolate for breakfast.

Ever since I saw that the office had a little toaster oven on top of the microwave, I knew I'd be stocked up on Pop Tarts.

So, this morning I grabbed a couple of S'mores Pop Tarts and threw them in the toaster oven. When I heard the "ding" I knew breakfast was ready. I grabbed a half sheet of paper towel and went to the toaster oven.

Now, here is where you need to be talented. We have no hot pads or anything silly like that. Usually, I take a fingernail and grab a hold of the top of one of the tarts and slide it off of the rack and on to my paper towel. I got up close, reached in and suddenly . . . I saw smoke! I pulled back a little and realized that the paper towel was on FIRE! CRAP!

The door of the toaster oven lays down flat so it's sort of like a little table. I put the paper towel on the open door of the toaster and whacked the crap out of it to put the fire out. Who said all I do is panic! So, the fire is out, the smoke is clearing. I thought I can't hide this one and Mike should have heard/smelled something going on. To allay his fears, I just said out loud "not to worry, it's just a small fire". Poor guy. He really doesn't stand a chance. If his family doesn't drive him over the edge, I just might!

So I took the paper towel with my Pop Tarts and showed him what I did. Of course, I also added "there's a blog in this! I need to take the paper towel home and take pictures!!" Mike beat me to the punch. He took the picture right then and there. He thought we needed the Pop Tarts in the photo!


I know I got lucky this time. So just in case, I have taken note of where the nearest fire extinguisher is to my office. You never know.

No comments: