Monday, July 13, 2009

Perfect, Just Perfect!

Ron's sister Susan and her partner Georgia, hosted a family and friends picnic Sunday at one of the metro parks in Euclid.

We were actually in the reserved area called Rear Quarry Reserved Picnic Area - Euclid Creek. It was just awesome! There was a covered pavilion, numerous places for games or putting your lawn chair under the shade of some huge trees. The covered pavilion was complete with electricity and picnic tables, and the grounds also had water and restroom facilities.

Ok, I have to digress a moment. Restroom facilities is a loose label for what these were. They were a step up from just the regular job johnnies; there was a door, sort of a toilet but it was over a hole. Now, I've seen the episode of the X Files where some monster lived in the hole under an outhouse! I was a little afraid (ok, a LOT afraid) to hang my naked ass over this hole. I stood there debating how much I had to really pee. Finally, after two cans of soda and a bottle of water, my bladder gave in and I did hang my naked ass over that hole! This thing smelled much better than most outhouses I've had the pleasure of visiting, but still. You did what you had to do and got the hell out of there. That was the only downside.

Let's start at the beginning. Everyone was bringing something and Ron was requested to bring his famous ranch beans. There aren't many places that Ron's allowed without his beans! So, he cooked up a double batch of the vegan version of his ranch beans (our personal favorite version!) and away the three of us went.

Just as we were walking out of the door, Ron got called into work. Well, better now than when we're at the party. We loaded up the van and all of us went with Ron to the job site. Phil took a nap in the van and I read my book at the picnic table just off of the parking lot. Once Ron was finished, we were back on the road. We were a bit late, but not too late to enjoy the fun!

Aside from two tables of food (waaay too many to list! Waaay too many to eat too, since we got to bring home an entire left over dutch apple pie!) there was fun for everyone. Let's start with the Rocket Car! The Rocket Car was available for a few hours of fun! They would load up the car, go for a ride around the metro park and then head back in for the next group. You couldn't wipe the smiles off of the people that were coming off of that Rocket Car! Waaay too much fun.

When the Rocket Car's tour of duty was up, an artist came in to set up shop. This guy was drawing cartoon caricature of anyone that would sit still long enough. The guy was really good and it was amazing how fast he could draw someone up!

Aside from these two headliners, there were games for kids and of course, we took our bocce set. After we got done eating, Ron and I along with Ron's cousin Tom and his wife Margie, headed up the hill to find a flat spot to play a game of bocce. Tom is one of my favorite people as this man has such a sick sense of humor! He takes all the crap I can dish out at him and then shovels it all right back at me. None of it malicious, all of it in fun. I always have fun when Tom and Margie are around!

While I've never been able to beat Ron one on one at Bocce, in teams, we played the girls against the boys and of course, woman power came out on top! It was a close game and a well played game, but the ladies did win with 12-10. I may never play bocce again so I can remain on top!

After eating and after bocce it was time for relaxing. Groups of people sat in the grass, at picnic tables or just in lawn chairs in the shade, catching up on each other while the kids went on a treasure hunt, or on the swings or playing games or just running around. It was great to see some people that we only see at Christmas dinner. Of course, the promises were made that we need to get together soon. I just hope it happens!

It was a long day but a great day. The weather was perfect, the entertainment was awesome, the food was spectacular and of course, time with friends and family.

The best thing I learned at this party is that Susan and Georgia know how to throw a first class party! The ladies did one fantastic job! The next party I throw, I'm definitely calling on them for planning details.

No comments: