Sunday, May 03, 2009

You Might Be Old When . . .

You might be old when kids ask you to stick around and close down the bar with them and your immediate answer is "ARE YOU CRAZY?? It's only 6:00 pm!!" Yeah, this happened to us yesterday!

Since Ron and I were good yesterday and got our work done (ok, we mowed the lawn. Damn, that was work!) we decided we should treat ourselves and go out for a bit.

We were both hungry, so our first order of business was picking someplace to go for a late lunch/early dinner. A good burger was what we wanted, and now we had to decide where to go for what we wanted. Now, we did say good burger, so that left out all of the fast food burger joints. I wanted REAL burgers.

There is a bar over in Avon Lake, a couple of towns to the east of us, that Ron had been to previously with our friend Larry. According to Ron they did have great burgers. It sounded good to me! Let me tell you, this place is really just a little neighborhood bar. I was a little worried about what I agreed to, since my bar stool sitting days are LONG behind me. This place did bring back a lot of memories, but I digress.

In this dark little bar with a jukebox blaring were a hand full of people sitting at the bar and four young men, I'd say in their mid twenties shooting darts. Ok, not only were they shooting darts, they were kinda hooting and hollering about their game, singing along with the jukebox and just having a great time. And, they were all definitely happy guys, and I'm betting feeling no pain.

We ordered a couple of burgers and a couple of beers. The cook actually brought our food out so we ended up chatting with him a bit. These burgers really were the bomb! They were huge and came with an order of home made fries. Your choice in the fries was either regular cut or waffle cut. My advice, should any of you find yourselves at Tailgaters, order the waffle cut fries.

In the middle of our burgers, one of the dart players came over to join us. This was definitely a friendly place! Introductions were made and he asked what we ordered. I ordered the Randy Moss burger. That's a Black Angus burger with swiss cheese and mushrooms and onions. It was awesome! After getting our new buddy Brian's opinion on our burgers, he offered us other menu suggestions for the next time we stopped by.

I guess he realized what fun people we were, or else he was impressed that I offered him a bite of my burger. Regardless the reason, our buddy Brian had the bright idea that we should party with them and close the place down! Close the place down? He said they were there since 1:00 in the afternoon and said that they'd remain there until closing at 2:30 am. We needed to stay there with them. Hello???

I did mention that we were old and couldn't hang like that anymore, but thanks for the offer. Brian insisted that we weren't old yet and we should definitely stay. That was a good suck up if I do say so myself! We did decline the offer to party all night but we were feeling pretty good about not being thought of as old. All in all, we actually did have a pretty good time and more importantly, a great burger!

In case you're wondering what the picture at the top of this blog has to do with this subject, well, here's the answer. After we left Tailgaters, we went to the pier in Avon Lake. There is a park by the pier and Ron and I just enjoyed the evening walking down the pier and through the park. It was a gorgeous day and the lake was very calm. As we were walking, I saw these flowers up against an old fence and just fell in love with them. I don't usually take good pictures, but I thought this one came out pretty good! I wanted to use it, so I threw it in here. Cool, huh?

2 comments:

Mati said...

Ahhh, that brings back memories of Bill's Cafe. Remember that place? Great burgers, fries, and a drink for under $5. And that was even after we sent them across the street to get the kind of cheese we wanted! I sure miss that kind of atmosphere. Oh, and the mailmen were a bonus! Thanks for bringing back the good ol' days memories g/f!

Unknown said...

OMG! I forgot about the mailmen!! How funny were they?!