Saturday, May 23, 2009

Finally!

When I was growing up, there was a huge lilac bush outside of my bedroom window. My bedroom was on the second floor and the lilac bush was so huge I could reach out my window and pick flowers! My room always smelled like lilacs in the spring!

Ever since we moved into this house, I've wanted a lilac bush. We have a lovely front porch, complete with a wooden glider. As soon as it gets warm enough, Ron and I can be found on that porch.

The porch faces east. Since the wind usually blows south to north, I wanted the lilacs on the south side of the porch so that the porch would smell like lilacs! That was my goal.

A couple of years ago, Mike and Mary Jane went out and got us a little lilac bush and even snuck over and planted it when we weren't home! Ever since, I have been so excited for my very own lilacs. (For some reason, Ron didn't look kindly on me walking up the the city park and cutting a few of their blooms for my dining room. Go figure.)

Last year I scoped that bush, just hoping for blooms. You could see where the bush was trying to blossom, but I don't think it was mature enough. I watered, I talked to it, I kept all kinds of happy thoughts. Finally, this year it happened!


I finally have blossoms and I finally have that lilac smell. Here is the big picture. The bush has probably doubled in size over the last couple of years and one day it should cover that south side of the porch very, very nicely!

If you're looking for me any time soon, check my front porch.

1 comment:

Mati said...

Sniff sniff sniff...ahhhhh. The smell of lilacs in the spring! Nothing like it. Looks beautiful!