Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wake Up Call

We have an elderly couple that lives next door that we just love to bits!

He's 90, she's 85. Neither are in good health, but that doesn't stop them. He still drives, and ok, that kinda scares the hell out of me. But, I digress.

They are wonderful people and we took to them from the very beginning. We have sort of adopted each other as family. We like watching out over them.

Tonight, the three of us were getting ready to go out to dinner. I happened to look out the front door and saw an ambulance in front of this couple's house. Of course, I panicked. Out the front door I ran and to the neighbor's.

As I get there, three paramedics are leaving with their gear but without either of the neighbors. They all had smiles on their faces, so I figured it couldn't be too terrible. I asked the paramedics if I'd be in the way if I went in, and they said they were done. Hmm.

I go running in and both of the neighbors are standing there looking a bit sheepish. Here's what happened.

He was feeling a little punk so he went upstairs to take a nap. Since her hip replacement a few years ago, she does not climb the stairs. When supper was ready, she stood at the bottom of the steps calling and calling and calling him. He wasn't coming downstairs. She got worried.

So, she called 9-1-1 for an ambulance. The paramedics arrived, grabbed their gear, ran upstairs . . . and woke him up! Poor guy was sleeping so soundly all he needed was a good wake up call.

So there you go. A little excitement in our neighborhood, but this time with a good outcome. And, at the very least, the paramedics have a good story to tell back at the office.

1 comment:

Mati said...

LMAO! That's a great story...one they can share with the grandchildren!