Thursday, May 28, 2009

Pump My Stomach

I have said previously that I am NOT Betty Crocker. I'm ok with it. However, usually when I cook it is at least edible.

One of my favorite foods is pork chops. I've never been great at cooking them, but recently I've had help from Julianna Walzcak on proper pork chop cooking! Since her help, my pork chops have been pretty great! But, every time I cook them, I cook them the same way.

Really, other than orange spaghetti or fried cabbage and noodles, who wants things always cooked the same way? I grabbed some old cookbooks and started looking through them for something easy to do with the pork chops. I found a recipe in an old Bisquick cookbook that looked easy. And, since I have a box of Bisquick in my cupboard that I have no idea what to do with, I thought this was a winning idea! Pork chops with cheesy biscuits or something like that.

Let be tell you, it was bad. Bad. BAD. B-A-D. Do you get the idea that we didn't like it?

Phil started dishing out the chops while I was putting the rest of dinner on the table. I happened to look at his plate and saw the pork chops were still more raw than cooked! What the heck! The three of us tried to brainstorm. I scraped the biscuits off of the top and back in the oven went the chops. I did make a new batch of biscuits and after awhile I added them to the brew. Let me tell you, only an A-bomb could have helped that dish.

When the chops came out of the oven, at least the pork chops were cooked.

Let's start with the top. Has anyone actually had Bisquick biscuits? Eww! C'mon now, those things are just gross. Nasty. Gag me. Eww.

The sauce: basically this was cream of mushroom soup with some milk and some Durkee french fried onions. One would think that this would be a decent combination; cream of mushroom soup can usually pass for edible. Well, you would be wrong here too. This was the grossest sauce I've ever tasted.

Pork chops: Well, it went from undercooked to overcooked.

Put all these three layers together and I'm telling you, most of this dinner ended up in the garbage can. It absolutely tears my heart out to throw food away, but I'm telling you if I had a dog, even it wouldn't have eaten this crap. Eww.

Tonight I'm going back to what I know. Orange spaghetti. It's not Ron's favorite, but I need one in the win column after last night's dinner. Eww.

1 comment:

Mati said...

So let me make sure I understand you. You give credit to my mom for telling you how to cook prize winning pork chops, but you, instead, choose to be "creative" and make the worst chops you could ever imagine? Hmmm...when I come to visit, let's just eat out! :)