Wednesday, July 16, 2008

That's Just Wrong, Page 15

There is a side story about taking Ron to the ER last night.

You have no privacy at the ER. You are put in a room with two or three stations with curtains separating each station. In our room was another gentleman, a few years older than us, also there for a Workman’s Comp issue. He and Ron got to be fast friends, swapping injury war stories back and forth. Unfortunately, in our three stations room was a mother with a two year old little girl.

The little girl was just cute as a button. Unfortunately, her mom wasn’t. Again, with no privacy in the ER, we heard her story. As the story went, her two year old had a difficult night sleeping the night before. With a night full of coughing, hacking and congestion, I guess that 7:00 pm the following night was the perfect time to take this baby to the ER to get that checked. Perhaps her pediatrician was busy all day for a sick baby. Yes, there is sarcasm here. This mother was FAR from a candidate for Mother of the Year.

We sat and listened to her yell at and berate this baby for hours. From "shut up" "be quiet" "stop crying, there’s nothing wrong with you" "stop acting up" yeah, you get the picture. That was all also coupled with quite a "SMACK" sound we heard. And then those awful words "you want to cry? I’ll give you something to cry about." My heart just went out to that little girl. She wasn’t bad at all. She was two, sick, and bored in the ER. I think with all that into consideration, she was perfect. It was her mom that was the problem with all of the yelling.

They took the little girl for a chest x-ray and then pretty much discharged her with a prescription for antibiotics. Then the horror really hit home. Suddenly mom informed the nurse who was signing them out that her water just broke. Holy crap, she’s procreated again? Some little child was coming into a very unfair world.

Now I know that with this information you could make the argument that mom wasn’t having the best of days either. She was probably tired, cranky and uncomfortable. I tried to think of that as well. Regardless, there was no reason to treat her child the way she was treating her.

You know, just because you CAN get pregnant, doesn’t mean you should. You have to pass a test to drive a car. You have to pass a test to be able to cut someone’s hair. Unfortunately, there is no test to say someone is fit to be a parent. That’s just wrong.

2 comments:

Jim's Blog said...

I'll bet the ER was the answer to a welfare person. Go there because it is free, and air conditioned, and hopefully, someone would look after her child for a while. I know some others who habitually use an ER for no other reason that it is open 24hrs a day, and they do not have to pay for it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann Marie. I experienced the same thing this morning at the dentists office. A mother came into the parking lot w/ 3 boys that looked under the age of 4. She was wearing pajamas! She was yelling at them. Telling them to get into the car and they kept saying "open the door"! She didn't and they managed to, when I got out of my car next to hers, I saw no child had a seat belt on....boo

But........I wanted to tell an Ann Marie OOPS story and I don't have a blog (I should make one (Mike?).

I was driving up Abbe Road from the dentist and a truck was going fast and drove up next to me. The guy on the passenger side yelled "Is this the way to Lorain Road?" I nodded and said yes. They really speeded up and then I was thinking, "I hope I was right, OH, Lorain Road is 252". I sped up to 60 miles an hour to get beside him, I honked and nodded NO, it's 252, the other way" He looked at the driver and they grinned and said "thanks"! Then they went faster (must have been late). I turned quick onto my road, and then it occurred to me........OH CRAP.........252 is Detroit Road, Lorain Road was the way they were going when they asked!

Not a thing I can do now.........I wasn't even driving a Ford! I wonder if they had a lottery ticket?

Thanks for letting me use your blog......Mary Jane