Tuesday, July 15, 2008

He'll Do Anything To Get Out Of Shopping

The plan for tonight was to head out to dinner after work followed by an exciting trip to Sam's Club and maybe the grocery store as well. Yes, we are wild and crazy people over here.

Ron got a late service call so I actually got home before he did. I asked him to call me on his way home and then we could decide on where to meet up for dinner.

I did get a phone call but it sure came with a change of plans. Ron was on his way home but he needed a ride to the hospital, not to a restaurant. Oh crap!

I wanted him to pull over and I'd go pick him up but he said he had cut his finger and he could make it home on his own. Fine. I'll just play chauffeur to the hospital. I grabbed our books, a cold soda and waited for him by the door. Good thing I grabbed the books. Have you been to the ER lately? Holy crap. Makes me afraid to have a heart attack. but, I digress.

On the way to our neighborhood hospital, I found out the story. He was lifting a floor tile to see if there were some coax cables running under the floor. (don't be too impressed, I just asked him again what he was doing! I never would have used the word "coax" in a sentence of my own free will.) Anyway, he lifted the one tile which was very heavy. Unfortunately, the tile slipped out of his hand and smashed his finger between two tiles. Something had to give and it wasn't going to be the steel tiles. Unfortunately, it was his finger that had to give.

The security guard at his client's office did a good patch job wrapping up his finger. It got him home with no more blood on his pants. This is where I took over and to the hospital we went.

The wait was horrendous. I couldn't believe so many people were in the ER at 5:30 in the evening. And to be honest, not many of them looked like they needed an ER.

The final score was three stitches, one dressing and 30 antibiotics. Since his finger actually got smashed and not just cut, it sort of exploded. Unfortunately, they didn't deem him worthy of something for pain. So, right now, the Lidocain is starting to wear off and he is feeling the pain.

So, send your get well wishes to Ron. Poor guy is not having a good week!

No comments: