Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Who'd Believe It?

Who in their right mind would believe that Cleveland's weather is worse than Chicago's? But it's true. I've seen it with my own two baby blues.

I left Cleveland Monday morning with four inches of snow in my driveway. When I got to Chicago, it was snowing, but lightly and there was really no accumulation on the ground. But it was colder than anything. Man, it is absolutely bitter cold here this week.

Monday, we were supposed to land at 9:45 am. We actually landed at 9:30 but because of some kind of troubles with other flights, we were put in a plane parking spot next to a fence. The captain told us we should only be 10 or 15 minutes before our gate opened up and we could taxi over. So, I did what everyone should do when they are on the company clock. I fell asleep and took a little nap! I woke up at 10:30 and we're still in our parking spot by the fence! So much for 10 or 15 minutes. It was finally almost 11:00 am before we found our gate. What a long flight that turned out to be.

This morning, I took a bottle of water with me from the hotel to the car so I would have it to drink at the job site. Well, I got out of the car, grabbed my laptop bag and didn't think about the water until I was in the building. By then I was frozen half to death and didn't want to walk back to the car. When we finally got back to the car after work, my water was frozen solid! That's how cold it is outside!

As miserable as I was with the cold, I did feel a little better when I got to the hotel. I grabbed my cup of hot herbal tea in the lobby and went to get into the elevator to go to the 6th floor. I ended up sharing the elevator with a young man who was looking a little blue around the gills. We said our hellos and he said something about how cold it was. I said, yeah, it's a bit brisk out there. Come to find out that he just flew in from Arizona where he'd never seen snow before! Talk about a culture shock! I think he had trouble wrapping his mind around the fact that I came from Cleveland where the weather was even worse than what he just experienced.

Yeah, I've been feeling a little better about the cold after that one. Poor guy.

No comments: