Thursday, January 11, 2007

Please Forward My Mail

I've been staying in Columbus for quite a few weeks now. Most of those weeks have been spent at the same hotel. The staff is great, but the hotel is undergoing renovations. That means we get a great rate, but have to put up with construction. The banging stops by 7:00 pm and they don't start until close to 8:00 am so I don't hear much of it. And, trust me, the place definitely needs updated.

My wireless card on my laptop is breathing its last breath, so when I checked in this week, I asked for a hard wired room. That's just a room with a USB port. After searching available rooms upon check in, a manager finally came out. We were all joking and kidding. Then he heard my name and recalled I've had a few difficulties with the hotel lately. Like my last stay was double billed. But hey, a phone call to the manager fixed the problem immediately. The few issues I've had have all been handled in a like manner, with the staff seemingly happy to help and correct what needed done. (And, yes, I did send an e-mail to the corporate office regarding the great staff here! Problems aside, they have all been wonderful.)

I don't know if it's just because the manager recognized my name or just because I was a paying guest, but he said "give her a room on the sixth floor". Hey, I don't care what floor I'm on as long as it's clean. The manager said I'd like this room as the sixth floor has already been remodeled and he thought I'd appreciate the new amenities.

I really don't need much, but who am I to argue about being trying out new amenities? I took my stuff up to the room and almost knew right then that I liked it! Ok, it might have something to do with the 42" plasma TV. I know it's not the Art Deco decor. I could take or leave that part. Aside from the awesome TV, this has the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I mean it is fantastic!

With a room like this, who in the heck wants to go to work in the morning? Well, come Tuesday morning, I had to do it whether I liked it or not. However, about 10:00 in the morning, the building was quickly filling with a most noxious smell that got worse by the minute. A sewer line burst. I was almost feeling like Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs there for a minute. It was a smell like I will never forget. While waiting for a crew to fix the problem, they were spraying some kind of stuff in the air to counteract the smell. That was making a bad situation worse, as that caused people to start losing their breakfasts. The department I am in was evacuated to the other side of the building. It was better over there, but not great. Since I was sick anyway, and I couldn’t do anything from the other side of the building, I decided to pack up and head back to the hotel. I definitely had enough work there to keep me busy for the day.

Yeah, I lead a tough life. Me and my 42” plasma TV and my most comfy bed. I did work for awhile, then loaded up on my cough medicine and took a long nap. It was a hard day for sure. Lucky for me, Wednesday all was not fixed yet. So, another day spent working from the hotel. I did take another nap that afternoon, but I also really did work! I got quite a bit accomplished, although I never seem to be close to being done.

Now it’s business as usual. I had to come back to earth and join the real people, having to get up in the morning and work the old 8-5 grind. Oh well. It was great while it lasted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, that hotel must have a little intel like your upcoming birthday, and they are treating you. probably isn't true, but it is my story and I am sticking with it.