Monday, January 08, 2007

It’s A New Day

And I still feel like crap.

Ok, maybe a little smaller pile of crap, but still crap.

I made it to work last week for a few hours on Thursday and even fewer hours on Friday. Yeah, my first week of work of the year and I’ve used three sick days! That just sucks.

But now it’s Monday and I made it to Columbus in one piece. I tried to work hard today but my concentration seemed to come and go. So, I just did what I could do and called it good.

I do feel badly though, about the way the house was left for Ron. All of our comforters/blankets in the living room are strewn to and fro. Hey, it was grab a piece of real estate in the living room and cover up with whatever is in reach. That room was definitely lived in during our illness. Aside from that, the cupboards are bare. It just got to the point that neither of us wanted to dress enough to meet a delivery person at the door, so we started cooking. It’s unbelievable to me that we are down to practically bare cupboards! Ok, they are not empty, but many staples that we always have on hand are not on hand. Like onions – who can cook without onions? Or, like pierogis, or hamburger or fish sticks or turkey mignon or even chicken. Last night I finished up the peanut butter! Can you believe my house without peanut butter? This truly is unheard of. I see a very expensive shopping trip coming up this weekend for sure.

Going back to my work life, I just got word today that I’ll be heading back to Chicago on the 22nd of January. It’s good and it’s bad, this trip to Chicago. It’s good because I will make money there plus the people are great plus the food is awesome! The bad part is once again going to Chicago in January. Good thing I love de-icing the plane and the cold of Chicago in the middle of winter. That will take me a good five to six weeks to complete. From there, who knows.

I’m also a little nervous this time going to Chicago. This is our largest audit for us, and this year my boss is not going. I will be the one managing the audit. This is a little daunting and this is not necessarily my cup of tea. I just want to be a good worker bee and let someone else worry about all of the administrative stuff. Yeah, I’m a little scared at the size of this one.

I’ve been telling people that a lot of changes were coming to my job. Well, as of January 1st, they have, but not all of the ones I expected.

As expected, people were fired, I’m sorry, downsized, from VPs all the way down to the auditors. I wasn’t one of them. However, our territory has been greatly expanded due to the downsizing of employees, so I can now expect a change from 25-30% of my time on the road as it has been to 75-80% travel time. Now I cover all of the way east to Buffalo NY and south to Syracuse NY, also Harrisburg PA and Pittsburgh PA. I’m sure this isn’t everything, but you get the picture.

It’s going to be a heck of a year. Maybe I should have asked Santa for new luggage.

In closing, I want to quote my brother Jim from first thing this morning – Happy Birthday, Elvis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I was at Graceland, I bought you a commerative deck of playing cards. After buying them, I determined that you cannot play any games with these cards as they are all KINGS! Hmm, may have to work on plan "B" instead.