Saturday, December 10, 2005

Women Are From Venus, Men Are From The Hardware Store

We had one heck of an exciting day at our house. Well, actually it started last night.

Ron and I after dinner headed to one of the chain hardware type stores. Our big plan for this weekend was to get some insulation blown into the attic floor. We are all about trying to save some cash this year with the heating bills. This is something we've talked about doing since we moved in. This project really moved up on our priority list!

Ron figured out how much insulation he thought we'd need, and we grabbed a few more bags, just in case. As long as you bought ten bags of insulation, the rental of the blower was free. We had 30 bags. Free rental right here!

One bag of insulation is about one foot square by two feet long. We filled up two flat bed carts with our 30 bags. On top of that is the blower, and add to that two huge garbage cans that held the 100' of hose. At this hardware store we have me, my car, Ron and his van. There was no way in heck we were fitting in all I just mentioned even into both of our vehicles. What do we do? We called our friend Larry! It's great to know someone with a truck!

Even though it was after 8:00 p.m., Larry said he'd come help us. He met us right away. We loaded up his truck, the guys tied it all down, and we had a convoy over to our house. After loading up two flat bed carts, then unloading them into the truck, I didn't relish the thought of unloading them again that night into the garage. We had Larry back up his truck right into the garage. Since he had the plow on front of the truck, we couldn't close the garage door. We had to cross our fingers and hope like heck no one was going to steal anything. I think we got lucky on that end!

Larry went home with my car and promised to be back at 8:00 a.m. to help Ron with this project. In return, he asked for breakfast. That worked for me! I had Mom's waffles and sausage links ready around 8:00 a.m. We all had breakfast and then the guys got to work.

The most amazing thing to me is what is in a guy's DNA that is not in most women. They just "know" stuff. They may not know why the sky is blue or why water is wet, but the important stuff, they just KNOW. The blower machine came with no instruction booklet. But yet the guys KNEW how to work it. Neither one of them had ever blown insulation before, but somehow they just KNEW what to do. That amazes me. I wouldn't have figured this out had my life depended on it.

Luckily my job was just to run tools up and down and to fix meals. There were serious meetings up in the attic then down in the driveway, but eventually the guys got their system down. A few hours later, it was DONE! I can't believe it!!!

Ron and Larry ran the blower back, took back seven extra bags of insulation, Ron put the attic windows back in (we had the hose coming in the attic window) and we were done.

Now, it may be my imagination, but I swear it is so much warmer up here. The first floor of the house was good about holding the heat or the air conditioning. This second floor was another story. For example, right here where I sit at my computer, I have a blanket on the back of the chair and a heating pad on my desk. On the really cold nights, I have the blanket around me and the heating pad on me somewhere. Socks aren't enough on my feet, some nights I have to put my shoes back on.

Tonight though...I took a long hot bath, and came to my chair. That was a couple of hours ago. I am still barefoot! The floor feels warmer, heck the entire room is warmer! And the temp outside is only 27 degrees.

I know I'm rambling, but I am just so excited! These guys worked really really hard today. They made a slight mess out of the house, but by golly, it's warm in here! This is the first winter night in the two years we've been here that I can say that! Is it just my imagination? Can it be true?? I am warm!!

Thanks to both Ron and Larry for the hard work today. I am truly grateful. You guys are awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, do I just imagine it, or did I hear some Gorilla Grunts going on out there? Roff Roff ROFF?