Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Changes In The Neighborhood

There is a house, two doors to the north of us, that has been empty since we moved in here.

The word in the neighborhood is that the house has actually been empty for 15 years or so. A lady owns it, doesn't live there, but for some reason, refuses to sell it or fix it up and rent it. The neglect that this house has gone through shows.

There are broken windows, missing screen doors, a roof caving in, the grass doesn't get mowed more than two or three times a year. And that's only after enough complaints to the city from the neighbors when the grass gets knee high.

The house was posted about a year ago as "uninhabitable". No kidding. So, this is the eyesore of our neighborhood.

Well, finally, there is good news! The weekend before Thanksgiving, Ron told me he saw about four or five different people going into the house. Hmm, what could this be? Is this the city finally inspecting the house prior to demolition? No, it was even better.

Soon came the BFI dumpster! Oh YES! That can only mean good things! It was a huge dumpster, like the size of a semi truck. I came home from work and I could see the dumpster in place. I believe I even did a happy dance in my driveway!

We found out that somehow the house was indeed finally sold. I don't know what happened to facilitate this decision, but I'm not complaining. I believe the new owners just plan on owning it long enough to fix it up and then plan on reselling it.

I don't remember the exact day, but shortly after Thanksgiving a crew showed up. They started filling up that dumpster. I never realized that the house was still full of furniture. We saw couches and chairs sticking up out of the dumpster. They seemed to have spent a few days just on the emptying process.

It is just so exciting to see such a wonderful change in the neighborhood. The house now has new windows and a fresh dumpster to fill up. Makes me wanna get my cup of coffee, sit on the front porch, and become a real neighborhood busybody watching all the cool stuff happening in our world. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: