Sunday, September 11, 2005

Read a Book

One thing about my family, we all love to read.

Personally, I go for the fiction section, usually some kind of mystery or who-done-it detective kind of story. I never guess the bad guy, but I love the search for him. I do stray from my formula of picking out books occasionally, but this is most of what I read.

You're heard of "writer's block"? I think I am in the midst of "reader's block". The last book I read was the newest Harry Potter. Keep in mind, this book was delivered to my house on the day it was released and I started it that day. I was one of the first to know who the Half Blood Prince was! But, now I am in a quandary.

I don't know if it's because the newest Harry Potter book was so awaited, or so thoroughly enjoyed, but now I am having trouble picking up the next book. There is so much hype about The Lord of the Rings, that I decided I wanted to read that one as well. I borrowed the book from brother Mike and had that in the ready for when I finished HP. I haven't read one page yet. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up the book, contemplated the book, even once went so far as to open the cover of the book. That's as far as I've gotten. I can't bring myself to read one word of it. What the heck is up with that?

So, yesterday, I tried my old friend. The local public library. I went right to the mystery section. There, I slowly strolled the aisles, lovingly stroking the spines of all the stories to be told. But which one would would open this reader's block of mine? I whispered "where are you?" as I felt my way through, finally settling on my choice. The Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell.

And, quit laughing at me! You may pick our your books your way, but this works for me. I'll let you know how it comes out!

No comments: