Saturday, September 03, 2005

It's a New Day

I finally got to move on to our next audit.

I am now auditing a hospital. This is a first for me, I've never done one of those before!

A few things about the new audit.

My first day was yesterday. My boss started on site a couple of weeks ago, so he's an old hand here. Our work area is up on the second floor. Some files are on the second floor while others are in the basement. There are forty stairs between the two! Let me tell you, I'm definitely getting my exercise on this audit. Between running up and down the stairs, and lifting and hefting boxes all about, I'm definitely able to cut down on the treadmill time!

Yesterday, my boss took me around and introduced me to the staff. So far, everyone seems very nice and very willing to help in any way they can to make this a successful audit. That is a great thing from the auditor's standpoint. They even provided cookies this morning. Hey, these are my kind of people!

I had to get a security pass. I need the pass to get into the employee parking lot and also to get into the building. I went to our contact and asked her for the pass. Generally, when we do this, someone would go to a Facilities Manager or the like, and get us a fresh blank pass that is usually limited access, only to where ever we need to be. Not in this case! She opened her drawer, and took out three passes of former employees. I had my choice of who I wanted to be for the rest of this audit!! Here were my choices:

1. An elderly woman that looked like she should have retired 10 years before this picture was taken
2. A large African-American woman
3. A tiny, petite Pakistani woman

Hey, at least they were all the right gender! For the record, my name is now Pam, and I am a very petite Pakistani woman!

We have a work table set up for us in a file room. My boss is at one end, I'm at the other. Our laptops have infrared capabilities, where we can send files back and forth between the laptops without having to hook up to the internet and send them via e-mail. Well, I always have the sound shut off on my laptop, while my boss seems to like the bings and beeps and the whistles. Anyway, the way we are sitting, our infrareds are facing each other. His laptop keeps beeping at him telling him my computer is nearby. Mine also is warning me as well, but with no sound, all I get is a little pop up, easy to ignore. For some reason, he was getting perturbed every time he beeped! DUH! Shut the sound off! Well, I played nice and put a pack of gum in front of my infrared eye. Ok, when he's not looking, I pull the gum away until I hear him beep! Then I hurry and put it back and it emits another kind of beep telling him it lost my signal. Then I sit there looking innocent and telling him I don't know why it's picking mine up! Part of the joys of my job is trying to drive him nuts. And I wonder why my job is posted on the internet!

The only down side is that it's a bit of a drive. It takes me just over an hour to get there. With gas prices what they are, it's a darn good thing I'm getting paid mileage.

I know, this ain't much, but it's about all I can tell you about the audit. So far, so good. It's all paper, nothing scanned. I like that. It's much more fun to dig through boxes of paper looking for cool stuff. I can be as nosey as I want, and get paid for it. Some days I can't believe they pay me to do this job.

No comments: