Friday, September 30, 2005

Don't Cry For Me, Bermuda

Onions.

I love onions. I can cut up an onion and put it in just about anything I make. I buy them by the 10 pound bags. I like the large ones, so I don't have to cut up as many.

The onions I currently have in the pantry are just large yellow cooking onions. Nothing fancy.

I've heard all the stories about onions making people cry. To be honest, I thought that was a bunch of hooey. I've cut up a gazillion onions in my day, and never once have I cried over it. The other day though, I finally found out what they have all been talking about!

It started when I was just peeling the skin back. Holy cow! Immediately, my eyes started to water. It wasn't like crying, my eyes burned so bad, I could hardly stand it. I really wanted three onions in the dish I was making, but I couldn't stand it! I had to stop after two. By that time, my eyes were almost swollen shut! I have never experienced anything like it in my life.

It won't stop me from cutting up the rest of the onions in that 10 pound bag, but you can be sure that when I cut onions, I'll have my glasses on and not my contacts!

No comments: