Friday, September 16, 2005

Expense Account

Yep, I have one. Tonight, I used it.

On the audit I am working on right now, I am pretty much in the dungeon. Ok, it's really a basement, but it's dark and kinda dungeony. Especially the room with the files. It's too dark and too cramped in the file room, so to look through the paperwork, I take a dolly, grab a couple of boxes and wheel them out to either the lunch room or the conference room.

That said, I get engrossed in my work. I start my day in the basement, I finish my day in the basement. It is my personal belief that I need to make my presence known to my contact at the audit as well as some of the staff. I don't want to attend a claim meeting on Monday and have a group of people wonder where the heck I came up with all these claims and where have I been all week! So, if not every day, then every other day, I make it a point to go upstairs and make myself seen. I will stop in to people's offices or cubicles, just say a howdy, how you doing, etc. Some times I might take in bagels or donuts or something like that.

Yesterday, I took a walk upstairs and was making my rounds. I was in the supervisor's office and she and I started to just chat a bit. Somehow, we got onto the subject of Margaritas. In case you can't tell from the name of this blog, I happen to love Margaritas. A lot. When I mentioned that to the supervisor, she said "Hey! Let's go have a few margaritas tomorrow after work!" Who am I to say no.

Tonight, we headed to a Mexican place she recommended and put down a pitcher of Gold Margaritas. To make it look better, we even ordered some food! Can life get any better than this? To make it a legitimate business expense, we did talk a little business, and with the information gained from this meeting I have a feeling tomorrow could be a prosperous day for me. I'll have to let you know.

The best part of this Margarita party tonight is that for a few hours, I could forget. I could forget that I was told I was once again passed over for a promotion. I could forget that I was passed over for a raise. I could forget that the other auditor has quit and tomorrow is his last day. I could forget that even HE could find another job, even though no one seems to want my services. I could forget all that.

And, my boss has to pay for my forgetfulness. I guess every gray cloud has to have some silver lining.

No comments: