Saturday, September 17, 2005

And I Paid the Price

Boy, did I pay the price.

From my last entry, we all know I drank a little too much. Perhaps even a lot too much. Had a great time though!

I think I went to bed by 10:30 p.m. When my alarm went off this morning at 5:00 a.m. I don't think my body had enough time to process some of that alcohol. I woke up feeling like crap. And I don't mean maybe. I felt like I still had a buzz too which wasn't helping my cause. My first thought was that I needed to get some food into my system to soak up some of that alcohol. So, I made myself a big bowl of cereal. Rice Krispies, for anyone that really cared to know. I got that down and headed back upstairs to get ready for work. I was running a couple of minutes behind since I stopped for breakfast, but not too bad. I was out the door about 6:05 a.m.

I went to walk out the door and was surprised to see just how hard it was raining. This is the proverbial cats and dogs rain storm. As much as I really wanted to say the heck with it and crawl back into bed and try again tomorrow, I knew I couldn't let my client think I couldn't take it. So, I threw a jacket over my head and made a run for the garage. (All of the umbrellas I own for some reason are in my car. I need to remedy that problem.)

The drive was absolutely horrendous. I could barely see. We were all going slower than normal, but it was still hard to see the car in front of you or beside you. I got lucky and hooked on to a big semi that had a ton of lights around the back. With the lights, he really stood out in the rain. I figured if I stayed far enough back, I could just follow him and stay on the road but if he hit anything or ran off the road, I had room to stop. If you've ever stared long enough at the back of a vehicle, you get mesmerized by it. Between staring at the truck and the pouring rain, I knew I was in big trouble. Luckily I was on the turnpike and I saw the sign for the service plaza coming up. I thought it might be a good idea for me to pull off and take a break.

I made my way to the service plaza and found a parking spot. I thought there is no point sitting with the car running so I shut it off. It's raining so hard, I don't plan on going into the service plaza, I'm just planning on staying in my car. It's only about 6:45 a.m. so there are not a ton of people out and about. I'm in my car, windows up, and it's raining like heck. The sound on the roof of the car is awesome! My body hurts, my head hurts, for crying out loud, my hair hurts. I decided to shut my eyes for just a few minutes. Just to wait out the storm! Yeah! That's it!

Somehow, my seat laid back, and the sound of the rain put me right to sleep. I woke up about 7:30 and the rain had turned into just a little drizzle. I had a 45 minute nap and was feeling a little better. My hair still hurt and my stomach was not happy with me, but I felt like I was going to live.

And live I did. It was questionable for awhile this morning, but I made it.

What should have been a bad day, turned out to have a bright spot. After all, how many of you people got to take a nap on the way to work?

No comments: