Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ugh. That Was MY Fault

One thing about being a grown up . . . I should KNOW better!

I know I've had a food sensitivity to eggs since I was about 19 years old.  I used to eat eggs all of the time and then suddenly, I couldn't.  I'm not so sensitive that eggs bother me IN food.  Luckily I can eat breads and cakes and meatloaf with no problem.  But, scramble them, poach them, sunny side up them or even coat some bread for French Toast and I can't do it.  I will be sick, sometimes violently.

Some times, if I take an antihistamine like Benedryl, it will help with some of the side effects.  Not always, but some times.

The worst part about this food sensitivity, or allergy as I call it, is that I LOVE eggs.  Why couldn't I be allergic to peas?  Or lima beans??  I could easily live the rest of my life without ever eating either of those two items ever again.  But eggs???  O M G

The worst offender was at Easter time.  In Slovak, and this is kinda spelled phonetically, not correctly, is our ceetetz.  I don't think I could make it if my life depended on it, but it was an Easter tradition in our house.  My Mom would start with like three dozen eggs in a pot, add sugar and milk and cook it down sort of like scrambled egg consistency.  Then, we'd take it out of the pot and put it in a cheese cloth.  The egg mixture would be squeezed and pressed into a ball in that cheese cloth and hung up over night to get most of the moisture out of there.  In the morning, this "ball" would then be put into a pan and baked until the top was golden brown.  It ended up being a solid mass of egg and it was the most delicious thing I can remember!  Every year I'd whack me off a chunk of the ceetetz on Easter, and enjoy every single bit of it.  I'd be sicker than a dog for about 24 hours afterwards, but dang, it was worth it.

I no longer have ceetetz in my life but maybe once a year I still have to splurge and have some eggs.  They are just too good to stay away from for ever!

If I'm going to get that sick, I want to make it worth it.  My favorite way to have eggs is over easy with some wheat toast to dunk into the yolks.  I can't make over easy eggs to save my life though, so I like to go to a diner and order them up.

Last night, I was having trouble thinking of what to make Ron and I for dinner.  I have had eggs on my mind for a few weeks now, and I knew my resistance was down and I was going to end up eating some soon!  So, last night I told Ron we were having breakfast for supper!

I made some turkey bacon, then did a huge veggie omelet for the two of us.  I can't do over easy, but anyone can make an omelet!  I sauteed up some onions, green peppers and mushrooms and then added the egg.  Holy cow was it GOOD!  I just took a small portion of the omelet, but it was probably still two eggs worth.  I wasn't even done eating my small portion when my stomach started to protest.

Now, Ron tends to get over protective of me when I talk about eating an egg or even wanting to taste his when he has them for breakfast.  Hey, I'm a big girl, I'm an adult, I know what I can and can't do.  I don't need him to be the egg police on me!  Or at least that's what I tell him.

Last night, he was watching me and starting to mutter "I told you so" under his breath.  I did NOT want to give him the satisfaction!  I tried to put on a brave face and hold down my dinner until after he went to bed!  I tried to write this blog last night when the feeling was fresh in my stomach, but I was too busy being doubled over at my desk!  Sheesh, what I don't do for an egg!

Lo and behold, I got through the night in one piece with only a few "are you ok"'s from Ron!  I know I'm a adult and should be making better decisions about how I take care of my body.  I've been paying the price for my decision all day.  But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Was it worth getting that sick for the last 24 hours over a veggie omelet?  Damn skippy it was!  It was an awesome omelet!

Did I make another one tonight for supper?  Not on your life!  It will probably be another year or so before I put myself through THAT again!

Being an adult doesn't mean I can't sometimes make bad decisions.  But I will own my decisions, I have no one to blame but me.  This was a self inflicted sickness and I know it was all my fault.  It will be all my fault again about a year from now.  Next time, two eggs over easy with some wheat toast!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor thing, no eggs... I also love them, omeletts, pancakes, boiled eggs, ... I love them in every way you can eat them. Hope you are better now. Being such sick is no fun. :(