Sunday, September 16, 2012

Good Times With Great Friends

I've blogged recently about the cooking talents of my friends Ruth and Jeff from Ripley New York.  Well, they loaded up their car and headed west to Lorain Ohio to see ME!!  How freakin' awesome is that!

They've been here a few times before and we always try to see something touristy while they are here.  Their last visit had them touring all of Lorain so this time I branched out to Elyria and Carlisle Township.  After breakfast at Pete's, of course!

Anyway, we headed to the raptor center up at the MetroPark in Carlisle Township.  I know I've taken these pictures before, but it is an amazing place and I took the pictures again!  I even ended up with a couple of surprises in the pictures!

First the Bald Eagle.  I'm telling you, this bird absolutely takes my breath away every time I'm there.




Moving down the line, a few owls.  Ok, so I didn't take such good notes this time and I can't tell you the exact names of these owls, but I putting them in here anyway.  I LOVE looking at the owls almost as much as I love looking at the eagle.  Such powerful and gorgeous birds.  One of the cages with two owls in it was getting cleaned so I didn't get the opportunity to take their pictures.   But, here is what I did get:


The guy above actually has his back to me!  His head is turned around to look this way but the rest of him is actually his backside.  Do you see why I love the owls?  Amazing!  Finally, he turned around and posed for a picture.


Another type of owl, taking a little afternoon siesta.


Here was one of my surprise shots.  I was taking  a picture of the bird but the camera actually focused on the grasshopper on the cage!  I didn't see the grasshopper with my naked eye and was surprised when he showed up on the shot!  Bonus picture!!


I planned it that way.  Yeah, yeah, that's it!  (NOT!)

There is the huge eagle's nest that the MetroPark shipped in.  It may not the be home to any eagles any more but a TON of other birds seem to be making it a home.  I think I captured at least one bird in each of the two close up shots.  Standing there looking at it, there were dozens flitting in and out at all times.  There are a LOT of little birds living in this nest!  First the whole nest.


Meh, I've taken better shots of this nest before.  It's hard to get a good idea from this just how big it is.  Trust me, it's huge.


Above, the little bird is right about in the middle and below, he's right on top.


A turkey vulture may not be thought of as a beautiful bird, but in HIS mind, he's gorgeous!  He was more than happy to pose for pictures while he was preening.  What a ham!




Leaving the raptors and heading back into town, we stopped behind the Elyria Police Station to see the waterfall.  Again, I've posted pictures before but this is a favorite place of mine to go and snap some photos.  I didn't see any giant carp this time but hopefully I got a couple of good shots.  First was a new view of the falls.  This was still from on the walk way on the way to the upper look out.


I like this shot.  From here we went to the upper look out.  I was very surprised at the garbage in the water.  Well, perhaps garbage isn't the right word.  All of the dead and fallen limbs and trees that were stuck at the top of the falls would be a better description.  I am not sure if this was just from the last storm or what, but geez, there was a lot of stuff at the top of the falls.




I don't know what happens with all of this debris.  Do you just let Mother Nature take her time in cleaning this up or will someone go in there and clear this out?  It looks awfully messy but maybe that's just me.

I always take a shot of down the river but I've never taken a shot UP the river.  So, here is an up the river shot!


I love this place.  I always see something new here.

No vacation would be complete without pictures of the vacationers!  Here we have Jeff, me and Ruth.


Last but not least, my "shot for Mark" who is the king of bugs and macros!  It wasn't a shot of a fly on the normal spot but it must have been grasshopper day!  This little guy stood there long enough for me to grab a few shots and then poof he was gone!  But, I got a shot and for that, I'm happy!


I'm also happy that Ruth and Jeff made the trip.  It's always GREAT to see you guys and I had a great time this weekend.  Good friends, great friends, keep you grounded and keep you sane.  You guys were definitely good for my soul this weekend.

I'll try to plan some more fun for the next trip.  Please come back SOON!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks you for this story. And great to hear how much fun you had, my dear friend. Greetings!