Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Saturday at Portage Lakes

OMG and me without my CAMERA!  This post will suck without photos, but bear with me.

We went to Ron's family reunion/picnic on Saturday at one of the parks down on Portage Lakes.  For those of you that don't know (like me) Portage Lakes are five small lakes that are connected by a series of canals.  Here is a fishing map I found, but at least you can get an idea of how this is set up.


We had a great picnic pavilion very close to a bathroom!  That is an important feature for some of us!  Well, we all brought food and sat and ate and chatted and had a great time catching up with most of the family.

Ron's cousin Bob was there and Bob even brought his pontoon boat.  After lunch, he offered rides around the lakes.  Ron wanted to go so I thought what the heck.  He and I were part of the first boat load to go for a ride.  I had never been on a pontoon boat and it turned out to be much more comfortable than I thought it would be.  This boat fit 10 passengers in nice padded seats!  We stayed in the no wake zones so it was a very pleasant and relaxing ride.

So much to see all up and down the lakes.  All of the gorgeous houses right on the water, and I'm sure even the ones that were falling down were out of my price range!  But, one can dream.  There were kayaks in the water, people swimming, jet skis, you name it.  And, the weather was perfect on Saturday, bonus!

The best part was when Bob took us by the Poop Tree!  Yes, POOP TREE!  Oh and me without my camera!  I should have my blogging literary license revoked for this!  There is a large tree, I'm guessing maybe 20 feet high right by the water's edge at a junction in the lake.  Don't ask me which lake, as I have no idea.  Anyway, as you are approaching this tree, you can see it does appear to be white.  Not the bark but all of the leaves.  ALL of the leaves, all the way from the top of the tree down to the grass.  As we got closer, yes, the grass was white too.

It was because of ducks!  I have no idea what kind of ducks but as we got closer, there had to be 30 to 40 ducks IN THE TREE!  Personally, I have never seen a duck in a tree, but I guess I can't say that any longer.  It was an amazing sight and one I was kicking myself in the behind for missing photographic proof!  The white in the tree was due to the ducks in this tree pooping all over the tree, hence the Poop Tree!  It was awesome!

So there you have it.  It was a great day for a picnic and a pontoon boat ride.

Other than the Poop Tree, I missed a gazillion photo opportunities that day.  Lesson learned - never leave home without your camera.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

I also never saw ducks on a tree! Too bad that you didn't have a camera. But glad to hear about that wonderful time you spent!