Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dog Day Afternoon

No one would believe THIS post without pictures!  Luckily I remembered my camera this time!

Lisa wanted to take her two puppies, brothers Gizmo and Opie who are one year old, out for a walk on the pier at Spitzer Marina.  I wanted to go and help!  We met up at the marina and off we were for an adventure.  Here are the "boys" all leashed up and ready to go.  That is Gizmo on the left and Opie on the right.


We made it all the way to the end of the pier and I thought I HAD to have pictures of me with two large dogs for my sister Cathie!  Who would believe that I did something like this?!!  So, I grabbed both leashes and Lisa snapped away.


It was such a beautiful day.  We were all having a great time. 

Opie was nice enough to mug for the camera!  Such a photogenic little boy!


We can only mug for the camera for so long.  Then it's time to get walking again and the guys were getting restless!  Finally, Lisa had to come rescue me!


When we got off of the pier, Lisa wanted to take the dogs over to the beach area and see if we could get them into the water.  They are part lab so they should like the water!  But, I guess your first time in the Lake is a bit intimidating.

On the way to the beach is a little over look.  The over look juts out over the water and I don't think Opie was thrilled with that.  Every time a wave came and hit the rocks below us, he didn't care for it.  He finally laid down and said that was as close as he was getting to the water.


We left the over look and headed over to the beach.  I kicked off my socks and shoes and was going to help Lisa with getting the puppies introduced to Lake Erie. 


With both of us holding on to one leash, we tried walking into the water hoping the dogs would follow.  No way, no how!  They sort of dug in and wanted nothing to do with the water!  It was a little choppy and the waves were coming in and they just did not know what to make of it.  Luckily, Lisa had called in the big guns for this job, her husband Chuck!

Chuck came prepared in his swim trunks, ready to start swimming lessons!  He started with one dog at a time.  First it was Gizmo.  Chuck didn't have much more luck getting Gizmo into the water than we did.  As you can see, Gizmo put his back to the water and wanted far, far away from it.


Let's try switching dogs.  With Gizmo now looking on, Chuck tried to convince Opie to go into the water.  Yeah.  Not.


Really.  Opie did NOT want in.


Chuck finally got him in, but still, Opie was not a fan.


Finally, Chuck decided he WAS going to win this test of wills.  He picked Opie up and out into the water Chuck walked.


Hmm, maybe it's not so bad after all!


Then it was Gizmo's turn.  To me, the look on poor Gizmo's face after watching what his brother just went through screamed to me "help me!"


And then Gizmo was swimming!


Ok, maybe I can do this, but I am DONE!


Before you knew it, we had two wet dogs who were starting to get the hang of this.


Thanks to Chuck's patience with the puppies, taking one dog at a time back into the water while Lisa held on to the other one at the water's edge, before you knew it, they were both swimming!




It was a great day all around!  I want to thank Lisa for letting me get some puppy time and a huge thank you to both Chuck and Lisa for letting me be part of the puppies' first swimming lesson!  I had a blast today!  And, look at those puppies!  They had a great day, too!

1 comment:

Georgia said...

What a wonderful day, for all of you! It seems to be warm over there in Lorain. We haven't got any summer until now. It's always rainy. I wish I could have also been in this wonderful water swimming with the dogs!