Sunday, June 05, 2011

Diet Pepsi Owes Me!

Ya know, when it rains, it pours.

For all of the money I've spent on Diet Pepsi over the years, you'd think that it would like me a LITTLE bit. I found out it hates me!

Just before my sister Cathie came to visit (I promise, that's the NEXT blog post!) I spilled almost an entire bottle of Diet Pepsi on my living room rug. I tried to scrub that damn rug but all I got up was cat hair. I had a huge stain on the rug during Cathie's visit! Nice, huh?

Just after Cathie left, Ron decided to give it a try. The poor guy was down on his hands and knees with whatever magic potion he came up with and got that stain out of the rug! Way to go, honey!!

Then this week happened.

Ron and I were getting ready to eat dinner (a delicious dinner of Gorton's fish sticks!). Since it was just the two of us that night, we were going to eat in the living room, while watching TV. I grabbed another bottle of Diet Pepsi, put it on my TV tray and went to get something out of the kitchen. When I came back and sat down, I went to move my tray and BOOM! The damn bottle fell over and no, I did not have the cap on tight. CRAP. Once again, on my hands and knees, picking up cat hair and some of the Diet Pepsi stain from that freakin' rug. I am NOT happy.

Later that same evening, I poured some Diet Pepsi into a glass this time. I thought I was being smarter! Up in the office, Ron and I are both on our computers, playing POGO and watching tv. I took a sip of my soda, went to put the glass down, and with too much crap on my desk, I think I missed the coaster. A full glass of soda, all over my freakin' desk! UGH! I remember I swore, then I grabbed the closest thing I could, a hand full of tissues, to sop up the mess. While I'm telling Ron what I did, suddenly BAM! The room went dark. We lost all power in this room. WTF. Could it possibly be a black out in town? There is no storm happening, we didn't hear a car crash that might have taken out a pole, so WTF. Luckily, Ron is a lot smarter than I am. He looked out the window and saw that our neighbors still had power, so this black out was probably my fault.

He told me to unplug my computer and I sat here like an idiot in the dark, and told him I really had NO idea where the hell my computer plugged in around here. Being the good guy he is, he crawled under my desk, told me it was soaking wet under there, and unplugged the surge protector from the wall. Then, he went to the basement, flipped the breaker back on and viola! We had lights!!

I guess the soda dripped off my desk and right into the surge protector under my desk. You wanna talk about a bad Diet Pepsi day! I cleaned up my mess which included getting most of the crap off of my desk, and then I just went to bed. I was afraid to touch anything else that night. I was also afraid to boot my computer back up.

If you recall, Ron had to restore my computer back to factory new as I had major issues in booting it up just before that. Backblaze had most of my info but it seemed to be in no particular order. All of my pictures that I had in folders, the folders were all gone. The pictures seem to be there, but in no particular order. Ugh. And, all of my links in Firefox which I thought would be saved, are no where to be seen. UGH! I am still kicking myself in the ass since I wanted to get a flash drive and just back up these two things that I wanted. But NO! I was too lazy. At least I spent the $$ on Backblaze and was at least able to save the pictures, even if they are all jumbled together.

So, I went a few days being afraid to boot my computer back up. Sure enough, when I finally did, it would NOT boot up again. Once again, Ron tried to work his magic but the result was that the hard drive was toast. I'm not blaming all of that on the Diet Pepsi, since I think the hard drive was going anyway, but the blowing of the surge protector probably put it over the edge.

Now it's a dilemma. I can get a new hard drive or a new computer. I really don't want to do either one right now. Luckily, I have this laptop. And, cleaning up my mess on the desk, I even have a place to put it on the desk! Bonus!!

For right now, I think I'll just work on the lap top. My files should be saved in Backblaze until the time comes that I do get another computer. And, at least while I had my computer working, I did put a bunch of pictures into blogger, so I have a couple of blogs ready to write. That's my silver lining!

As I'm looking here, I have a cup of coffee on my desk. Maybe I should implement a new rule that there are NO beverages on or near my desk.

Or in the living room.

Oh, Diet Pepsi, after all we've been through. How can you do me like that?

2 comments:

Mark said...

I think you should switch to Diet Coke. Been drinkin' it for years, and I've never had it do me wrong. Sorry to hear about your file issues with BackBlaze. Good luck getting it all together!!

Lisa said...

Sounds like you need to invest in a few spill-proof sippy cups *snicker*