Sunday, June 12, 2011

Two For One

Usually when I write a blog, I have a story to tell, a point to make. Yes, I really do! It might not always seem that way but trust me, I do. Some days I edit myself out of half of a story just to make sure I'm only bringing to the table that one point I wanted to make. This story, I just couldn't do that. This is one story with two points! Hence, Two For One!

First I want to thank my brother Mike for teaching me good stuff. One of his money saving tips is, if you're going to go out and spend some bucks on something, go to Giant Eagle first and see if you can buy gift cards for whatever you're buying.

You go to Regal a lot? But Regal gift cards first. Sears? Got it. Home Depot? Wouldn't be without it. You're going to spend the money at these retailers any way, so you might as well earn $.10 off a gallon of gas for every $50 you spend. It just makes sense when you're watching your pennies. Or if you're just a smart shopper.

I really needed to buy new sheets. I was down to just one set and the wear hole in the bottom sheet is just getting bigger and bigger. I finally decided that they were not going to make it through one more wash, so this weekend I HAD to buy new sheets. I called my sister for good advice as to how much she thought I should shell out for different thread counts. Armed with this info, I started searching.

Kohl's was an absolute bust. Now, I am a huge fan of Kohl's but some days I just can't find anything there. The sheet department is one of them departments. Why can't all the sheets be together, and just let me go down to the line to find the thread count and/or color I want? Sheets, blanket, comforter. Go down a few aisles and there are more sheets and pillows. Another aisle yet? Sheets, blankets. Yeah, to me, it's confusing. It so does NOT go with the feng shui of my mind. I walked out.

I thought about going to Midway Mall and hitting Penney's but on the way I was driving by Bed Bath & Beyond and decided to give it a shot. I DO love that store.

Sure enough, I found just what I thought I wanted. And, for a price, while expensive, should offer me sheets that I won't be replacing yet again in a year. I've done that enough. I'll spend the extra bucks now for longevity. I deserve that much.

I added up in my head how much I'd need for two new sets of sheets. $119 plus $119 = $238. I went just down the street to Giant Eagle to get me some gift cards! I walked out with $250 in cards, thinking I was covered.

I got back to BB&B and realized I didn't factor in the price for extra pillow cases. DAMN people, those are as expensive as some sheet sets I've bought in the past! Ouch! But, I wasn't going to run back to Giant Eagle for another card, I was happy with my $.50 off a gallon that I just got.

I grabbed two sets of sheets and two packs of pillow cases and went to the register. A young um, girl (nicest adjective I can think of right now) rang me up. The bill came to just over $300. I handed over my newly purchased gift cards and told her that I wasn't smart enough to factor in the cost of the pillow cases so I didn't buy enough gift cards to cover the entire purchase. True story, here is how the rest of that conversation went:

girl: That's ok! You STILL got over $300 in merchandise for only about $50! That's a GREAT savings!

me: blank stare

me: um, you DO realize that I'm the one that bought those gift cards, right?

girl: Well, yeah, but that doesn't count! You STILL got a great deal getting over $300 in merchandise for only $50!!

Ok, here is one young girl that really needs to stay in school. And, maybe not have a job where she has to have her hands in money. I'm just sayin'.

So there is my two for one story!

1. From Mike's advice, if you're going to go shopping and spend some cash, look at getting gift cards. Love them fuel perks!

2. Some people really aren't ready to go out into the work force with the quality of education they've received so far.

I can't make this stuff up!

2 comments:

Cathie Feeney said...

It's no wonder that employers these days insist on a college degree. It's painfully obvious that high school just doesn't prepare anyone for life in the real world. TOO SAD!!!

Mark said...

Pretty scary. Happy sleepin' in your new sheets!!