Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Am Totally Crushed

Monday night, Ron and I had date night.

We went to Red Lobster to enjoy a nice quiet night. The last few times I've been to Red Lobster, they had an item on the menu where you could pick two things to make up your favorite meal. Then it would come with a salad, a potato and some veggies. I always chose two orders of scallops! I love their scallops!

The menu has changed and I can no longer order this treat. The only choice they had on their menu that included scallops was the scallop and shrimp combo in a peach bourbon sauce. Hey, I could be jiggy with it!

So, I chowed down my scallops, and even my shrimp (burp). I'd much rather have crawfish, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. I also enjoyed my baked potato and some scrumptious broccoli. Did I mention I ate shrimp? (burp)

We sat and chatted while we waited for the bill. By the time we got to the car, there was a little knot in my stomach that I originally thought meant I was way over full. (burp) Getting in the car and heading home, I all too soon realized that I wasn't feeling full . . . I was feeling sick. (ugh)

We made it home ok but the longer I sat here (belch) the worse it was getting. By 8:00 I had enough. I got in my jammies and headed for bed to watch the ball game. (The Cubs lost to the Mets. That did NOT help me feel better!) I kept getting worse and worse and worse. I had taken Alka Seltzer but with no relief. I laid there with the chills, just wishing I could throw up.

I'll spare you the details, but I spent most of the night running to the bathroom with false alarms. I can't remember when I felt that miserable. I couldn't get comfortable and I was doubling over with stomach cramps.

I got to work Tuesday morning and Mike had to talk sense into me. Believe it or not, to get relief, seeing a doctor never entered my mind! Duh. I called my doctor and he said he would squeeze me in at about 1:00. I was counting the minutes.

I gave him the run down and also it hit me that the last time I ate crawfish I was sicker than a dog before lunch was over. The last time I ate shrimp? The same thing. Is there suddenly a pattern here? C'mon now, I've eaten a river of crawfish in my day and never a stomach bubble. Now, I wanted to pump my own stomach.

The doctor listened to what I had to say, but to be on the safe side, he ran an EKG on me. Come to find out, a woman's heart problems can give symptoms of gastric distress. Who knew.

After a few scary moments, I was told my EKG was normal, no problems. That five minute wait may have made my stomach problems worse but at least my heart was good!

After all was said and done, he felt that I was having a reaction to the shell fish and suggested I stay away from them in the future. What???? He gave me anti-nausea medication as well as something to cut down on the stomach acid as well as a suggestion to get some Claritin for the allergic reaction I was experiencing.

I asked him to reconsider. After all, we are planning a weekend in Cincinnati for the sole purpose of that being the closest location of a Pappadeaux restaurant! Only the BEST restaurant in the whole wide world with the BEST blackened shrimp and crawfish fondeaux and crawfish etouffee! WTF!

How can a person survive knowing they can never eat crawfish again? Well, I guess I could if I was willing to go through what I went through for two freakin' days. (burp) I was one sick puppy.

But, now I'm crushed. No crawfish. Ever. This was horrible, no good, very bad news. (burp) However, I think I'll follow his suggestion to stay away from shell fish. Ugh.

No comments: