Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Could Live Without It

When Phil has other plans and is not having dinner with us, we like to do something that Phil would not like. For instance, we'll have seafood or ethnic food. Monday night when he had other plans, Ron and I decided to go for Mexican food.

Since our favorite Mexican place closed up about a year or so ago, and the restaurant that replaced it made both of us sick, we only have one Mexican restaurant that we really like but it's in Vermilion. Monday night we wanted to stay closer to home than that.

There is a chain restaurant, Don Tequila, in our area on Cooper Foster Road. We had been there probably three years ago. We weren't overly impressed with the food, however we did have a great time with the people sitting at the table next to us! You all know how I love to talk to strangers!

But, since the food was just mediocre, we never had any strong desire to return to Don Tequila. However, they have closed down their old restaurant on Cooper Foster Road and built a brand spanking new one over on Kresge by the Giant Eagle. We've been watching the construction and for some reason, I thought I wanted to try it again after it re-opened. Monday was our opportunity.

First let me say, the place is absolutely beautiful. I love the decor in there and I couldn't even explain to you the booth backs and the chair backs. Each one was different and you have to see them to appreciate them; gorgeous! We had a very nice server who offered suggestions and helped us through the menu. Now, here is my critique.

I'm not that crazy about authentic Mexican food. I was spoiled with the Tex Mex in Texas. I could eat that all day. But authentic Mexican, bleh. Not my favorite. Usually the margaritas are what make the dinner experience worthwhile. So, let's start there.

Even though we ordered the top shelf margaritas, they sucked. They were way too sour. Lime margaritas should be a little on the sour side but these were ridiculous. We had ordered a half of a pitcher to split between the two of us and we did NOT empty the pitcher. That alone could have made this blog appear in the pages of "That's Just Wrong!".

The food I usually order in Mexican restaurants is fajitas. You can't go wrong with some sliced steak, some onions and peppers, a little salad, guacamole and sour cream all wrapped up in a soft tortilla shell. This was a horrible representation of a fajita! Well, perhaps if you liked really spicy it might be good. I don't like spicy. My freakin' mouth was burning by the time I was done! Yeah, too much for me.

So, even though they seriously upgraded the building, I still didn't care for the food or drink. Yeah, I am crossing that one off of the list of restaurants to go to in our area. It's back to Vermilion to hit a good Mexican restaurant, Tijuana Grill. Now that's good eats.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Next time, if you're up for a little ride, you should head out to North Ridgeville and check out Fiesta Jalapenos.
http://www.fiestajalapenos.com/

Lisa said...

Me again.
Somebody at work told me that the Mexican restaurant in downtown Amherst is good, too. It's across the street from the theater.

Unknown said...

Hi, Me again!

Thanks for the suggestions on the Mexican restaurants. We will put these on the list of places to try!