Sunday, January 10, 2010

I AM EMPLOYED!!

Yes, read that again. Finally, I am once again a contributing member of society. I have an honest to goodness, income generating, tax paying, job. And, I started it on Saturday.

After countless resumes sent out, I finally received and accepted an offer on Saturday morning. I walked into the office, hugged my new boss, accepted the offer and we started working. Hugged my new boss? Yes, hugged him. Ok, he's my brother!

I am not above a bit of nepotism. I've done it before. I used to work for my sister Barb for almost 10 years. She's who taught me most of what I know. But, on to my brother.

He is one of the owners of a manufacturing company here in the area. A position has opened up in his organization and he was crazy enough to think I was right for the position! Hey, all of my family has a few loose screws, but I think that's why we all get along so well.

There are a handful of good news/bad news about this position.

Good news: I have a real job with real income.
Bad news: I now have to go back to setting an alarm to get up in the morning.

Good news: It's good to get back to work since my brain has been going to mush from not having to think about too much.
Bad news: I think I've forgotten most of what I used to know.

Good news: I already started my new job on Saturday. I got the tour of the place, I got to drive a jitney (SHH! Don't tell anyone! That's supposed to be a secret!), I learned about relieving raw material inventory while building finished goods inventory, I posted the Accounts Receivable and made the daily deposit, I posted an Accounts Payable ACH payment and even got a shipment ready to go out on Monday. I think there was even more that I did, but that's off the top of my head.
Bad news: My brother is going back to China on Friday for a few weeks so I have a limited time to learn what I need to learn before he's gone and I am working without his side by side help. Yeah, that scares me a little bit!

Good news: I love to blog.
Bad news: It's impossible to blog about your boss being an asshole when he reads your blog! I love you, my brother! I'm sure we'll have our bad days, but I won't be able to just call him by a pseudonym and vent here. That's ok though. I'm sure we'll be able to work through any major problems and as long as he doesn't have PMS on the same weeks that I do, all should be manageable in our worlds.

So there you go. I am finally working again. One of the things that I do love about this position is that I will have my fingers in a lot of different things. That makes for much more interesting days. When all you do is one thing in a day, life can be boring. But when I'm doing receivables, payables, shipping, receiving, purchasing, cleaning the toilet, whatever needs done, that makes for some good days.

I have my own office, my own bathroom. That's moving up in the world!

To celebrate my first day of work, Michael even brought donuts into work. C'mon now, any job is about the perks! Donuts are a freakin' perk! Even better than that, he bought dinner. We had planned on hitting a great Chinese restaurant by his house and have Ron and Phil meet up with us at his house for family dinner and new job celebration. Here is what my fortune cookie said:

The hard times will begin to fade. Joy will take their place.

Amen to that. People, I am EMPLOYED! Let the joy begin!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you, and it sounds like you have a fantastic boss! (I am not above sucking up) :)

Ruth said...

Good for you!!! I'm glad to hear someone is being employed, maybe there is hope for me too!!
Unfortunately, both of my siblings are retired!!!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you do well everyday, with Mike and without!!!lol (I really know you will)