Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Congratulations, Hawk!!!

Today Andre "The Hawk" Dawson was inducted into Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame!! And, deservedly so.

Andre Dawson won the National League MVP in 1987 while with the Cubs. What made this such a feat was the fact that the Cubs were in LAST place in their division. I don't know if it's been done since, but he was the first player to win MVP while a member of a last place team. In his 20 year career, he hit 438 homers and 1,591 RBIs. He was a great ball player and definitely a bright shining spot in the Cubs' history.

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a HUGE Chicago Cubs fan and have been for more years than I'd like to admit.

Only once in my life, so far, have I made it inside of my Mecca called Wrigley Field. The day I was there, before the game, I walked down the stands to as close to the field as I could get. Andre Dawson, right fielder for the Cubs, was standing at the rail talking to a few people.

I stood there, soooooo close to the greatness that is Andre Dawson, waved my arms like an idiot, while screaming ANDRE! ANDRE! ANDRE!!

Finally, probably to shut me up, he waved back. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson waving at ME in none other than Wrigley Field. One of my best days ever, for sure!

Congratulations, Hawk. You earned it.


No comments: