Monday, April 09, 2007

Turn Which Way?

When I posted about my new GPS, Jenny was disappointed that there will be no more getting lost stories on here. Well, Jenny, guess what! GPS or no GPS, I can still get lost!

We started a new audit today in downtown Buffalo. The company we are auditing actually has numerous buildings downtown, and all of them reference the main building’s address. That facilitates mail delivery all going to a central mail room and then the mail room passes along the mail to the appropriate buildings.

Sure that works for them, but it makes it hard for me to find the right building! My boss came to the audit in one car and I came in a second car with my trusty new friend, my GPS. Too bad it kept directing me to the wrong building!

I wasn’t sure where I should park so I called my boss to find out where he parked since I knew he was about 10 minutes ahead of me. He proceeded to tell me to park in the lot under the building. Fine. That sounds easy. Unfortunately, we drove around the block five times and couldn’t find the entrance to the underground parking ramp! He did warn me that the ramp was hard to spot, but it was there.

After five times around the block, I pulled over once again and called the boss. Now he said he just walked outside, and to look for him. Hmm. He’s a relatively tall guy, so I didn’t think I’d have trouble spotting him. I don’t see him anywhere. Then he said that the trolley is right in front of him picking up passengers, so look for the trolley! Again, in theory, this should be easy! Unfortunately, I was parked right next to the trolley tracks but hence, there was no trolley in sight. I was starting to think I might be in the wrong place!

We changed tactics and he looked for actual street names. My Garmin GPS is equipped to find intersections as well as actual addresses. Once I typed in the new destination of the intersection on which my boss was standing, I realized I was about five blocks over from where I should be. Sure enough, when I drove to the correct building, I found the parking ramp right away. Go figure!

So it just goes to show you. Even with a GPS I can still get lost!

No comments: