Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just Missed

Another tragedy. How can 33 people be dead at Virginia Tech? How can these people just be going about their business, going to class, or in their dorms, and be shot down in cold blood?

Like most of us, I went to bed last night, thinking about this tragedy and watching CNN for any news updates.

After a restless night, I’m in the shower around 7:00 this morning when the alarm in the hotel went off. A loud piercing alarm was everywhere, with a voice-over stating to evacuate the building. We were to take the stairs, stay away from the elevators and all head for the lobby or other designated safe area. Where the hell is a designated safe area? What is the emergency? Is there a fire? A bomb? Another nut with a handgun and a brain tumor? I’m naked, hair full of conditioner and soap all over me, and I’m being told to evacuate the building due to an emergency.

With everything I was thinking about last night, I do not take this lightly. I jumped out of the shower, wrapped a towel around my head and was in the process of throwing yesterday’s clothes on while thinking about what I need to take besides my wallet, when the alarm suddenly stopped and the voice went quiet.

What does this mean? Are we safe? Should I still finish dressing and evacuate? Is it time to jump out of a window or is it too late for that now? Like an idiot, I just stood there, one leg in my pants and one leg out, stuck like that.

About five minutes later, a bell rang and another voice came on the loudspeaker giving the all clear. No explanations, no nothing. Just all clear.

The clothes came off and went back to the dirty clothes drawer, the towel was dropped on the floor and I got back in my shower to try to finish what I started. I don’t think I did a very good job since all of my body is now itchy from what I’m imagining is soap residue.

What is happening? Why the hell am I here alone? Why am I not home where I at least feel a little safer? This is definitely not a good way to make a living. I want to go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, you can no longer be safe at home, but you can feel safer with family and loved ones around you. I just hope you can continue your job and get home safely when done.