Thursday, April 12, 2007

Damn That's Big

Last night I needed some down time.

I begged off from going to dinner with the other auditors and chose to spend the evening alone at the hotel. Delivery can be a wonderful thing some nights.

I had a hankering for pizza. Specifically Donato’s thin crust pepperoni pizza, the BEST meal EVER made by mankind. Dang, I’m drooling just typing about it. Anyway, that’s what I wanted.

Unfortunately, there is no Donato’s pizza around here. So, I checked the book in the room that generally gives you an overview and perhaps a menu of the local restaurants around the hotel. There is usually a list of restaurants that deliver to the hotel as well. Since this hotel has a very expensive steak place downstairs plus another restaurant in the atrium, they weren’t too happy about talking about the competition. So, it was on to plan B to find a pizza with my name on it.

I made the trek downstairs to talk to the bellman. He is usually the go-to-guy for food, so I thought he would know. And, he did not disappoint me. He said if pizza was what I wanted, I should call La Nova Pizzeria. The bellman found a menu for me and I took it upstairs to look it over. They had a lot of specialty pizzas, but call me silly but I still like just a good plain pepperoni pizza. I now wish I’d have looked at the menu a little more closely.

I ordered a large pepperoni pizza, thin crust. I figured I’d have pizza for dinner and the rest left for breakfast today. That was the plan anyway. Who’d have thought I’d get half of Italy delivered?

The front desk called that my pizza had arrived. I went downstairs to meet my pizza guy and I was absolutely shocked to see what he brought me. He had the largest pizza box I have ever seen. Holy crap, this thing was huge! I lugged the box up to my room and couldn’t find anywhere large enough to put it. I had my laptop opened on the desk, so there was not enough room for the pizza box there. I don’t put anything on a hotel bed bedspread, including myself, so I’m definitely not putting food up there. I ended up pulling a night table away from the wall so there was room to put this monster pizza box!

Ok, the pizza was pretty darn good. But I only ate two out of eight pieces, and I struggled to finish the second piece. I feel absolutely terrible that I had to throw out so much pizza, but there was no way I was going to wolf it down. The pizza was huge and each piece in itself was huge! It wasn’t Donato’s pizza but it was still darn good.

The moral of this story is nothing more than read the menu. Find out if a large pizza will feed 1-2 or 10-20! I’ll know better for next time.

No comments: