Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Things That Go Crunch In the Morning

I had a rough night last night.

I must have fallen asleep watching tv last night, and some time during the night I took my glasses off and put them on the bed next to me. That’s not unusual in a hotel. On the bed next to me are usually my glasses, the remote control and my phone that doubles as my alarm clock. They generally stay right where I left them.

This morning I woke up and I didn’t remember taking my glasses off, so I really wasn’t sure where they were. For those of you that know me, I can’t see a thing without them. I felt all over the night stand and they weren’t there. I tried to feel on the usual spot on the bed that they normally would be and they weren’t there either. The panic is starting to set in.

I got out of bed and gingerly stepped around the bed, feeling around on the floor for my glasses. I came up empty again. I’m really starting to panic. I grabbed the covers from the bed and started to “fluff” them. When I lifted the blanket, I heard something hit the floor that would have had to been my glasses. Now we’re getting somewhere! Unfortunately, I had no idea where they landed. It sounded like they were on the same side of the bed that I was on, so that’s a start. Again, gingerly moving so as not to step on them, I still can’t see a thing. When I realized they were definitely not in front of me, I took a step back. Guess what I found.

Aargh.

Actually, my heel found my glasses. I was safe on tippie toe, but the minute I put the rest of my big foot down, crunch. The right lens popped out and the frame is bent to hell. This was not a good way to start my day.

This is the second glasses emergency from this audit. My first week here, I thought I forgot to pack my glasses. The panic that sets in is indescribable. I am far from home, in a strange place and I can’t see. It really is frightening.

I have never been a proponent of laser eye surgery. Just look at my sister Cathie for case in point. She ended up a poster child of why not to have the surgery. It just never bothered me to wear glasses or contacts. Heck, I’ve been in glasses since I was seven years old. I don’t remember any other way of life. Silly as it sounds, these two instances of glasses emergencies have made me start to think about it. I don’t know that I want someone to do unnecessary surgery on my eyes. Then again . . . I am afraid of this feeling of panic when I can’t see.

So, surgery? Or do the smart thing and just learn to not fall asleep with my glasses on and put them away properly at night.

No comments: