Thursday, September 07, 2006

Labor Day Party!

Ok, I know, I’m running behind in postings.

Monday, we had the honor and the pleasure of having a little get together at our house. Jim was nice enough to bring Dad to Ohio for the day, and Mike and Mary Jane were also able to attend.

The meal was a bit eclectic. Ron wanted regular cook out fair, so we had brats on the grill. To go along with the cook out theme was the corn on the cob. Whenever Dad and Jim make it to our house, I like to serve something they don’t get on a regular basis. This time I chose Mom’s potato pancakes.

Anyone that knows Mom’s potato pancakes knows that they are worth all of the work that goes into them. I didn’t tell anyone I was making them, so all were happily surprised. Luckily, they even came out just like Mom’s!

Dad and Jim served as “taste testers”. The pancakes just have to be spot tested while you’re frying them just to ensure quality control. As the cook, I generally reserve this duty for myself. Sometimes, by the time they’re ready, I’m no longer hungry! Yes, taste testing can be serious business. But this time, the honor went to Dad and Jim. As long as I kept hearing mmm mmm sounds coming from them, I knew dinner would be a winner.

I was responsible for one bad thing that day. I know that Mom’s potato pancakes are one of brother Philip’s favorite things. Whenever I make them for Ron and me, I usually end up text messaging Philip or calling him, sort of just to rub it in that we’re having pancakes! I know; I’m mean.

Since I had willing accomplices at the house, I used them. I planted a bug in Jim’s ear to bust Phil’s chops and had him send the text message! We all went back and forth for awhile and after things calmed down, Mike got into the act and gave Phil his opinion of the fare! Yes, we are mean, but it was all in fun. Not to worry, Phil. Next time you’re in Ohio, I owe you a big batch just for you!

All the food was good and the company was even better on Monday. We celebrated well the end of summer, had a lot of laughs, a lot of food and a lot of hugs.

Thanks to everyone for coming over!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must admit that my crank was pulled often on the potatoe pancake issue, but I understand that this was all in fun. I do still miss the potatoe pancakes, but my other sister, Cathie, who is near me in California, makes them once in a while so I do get to taste test myself once in a while. As always, I still love you all.