Sunday, November 13, 2005

I Still Hear Her Saying "I Told You So"!

Years ago, while I was living in Texas, I was on the phone with my sister Barb. I was probably calling her for directions to make something! She was always good for that. She knew almost everything I needed to know.

I remember this one day in particular. Whatever it was she was trying to teach me, she said something like "just use your rolling pin". To which I replied "I don't own a rolling pin".

Believe it or not, we actually got in an argument over the rolling pin! She couldn't believe that a woman in her 30s wouldn't own a rolling pin and I countered with I'm not a baker, so why would I need it? We went round and round and finally, I relented. My next shopping trip found me in the kitchenware aisle buying a dang rolling pin!

I can count on one hand how many times I've used this rolling pin. It sat in my cupboard for years untouched. I think the first time I used it I was already in Ohio! Even now, when I do use the rolling pin, I generally use it for other purposes. For example, it's great for pounding raw chicken! A couple of pieces of plastic wrap around the chicken, a nice wooden cutting board and my rolling pin! Works great every time.

Friday night I was making chicken breasts. The recipe I was using required the chicken be pounded to 1/4" thick. So, I got out the wooden cutting board, the plastic wrap, and went to town with my rolling pin pounding the heck out of the chicken.

Even now, years later, whenever I pull out that rolling pin, no matter what I'm going to use it for, I hear Barb in my ear telling me "I TOLD you you needed a rolling pin!" How right she was!

No comments: