Monday, January 04, 2016

Attitude. It's Contagious

I have to tell you what happened today.

It wasn't a horrible day.  Not steller, but not horrible.  I left work and was running some errands and felt . . . level.  Not happy, not mad, just level.  All was ok in my world.

I ran to my bank to cash a check.  This would be the Fifth Third Bank in downtown Elyria.  It was close to closing time (within 15 minutes), there was a short line and the employees were moving at a decent pace.  No big deal, I had the check I wanted to cash in my hand along with my driver's license, I was good to go.

It was my turn, I was called up to the window, handed the teller my signed check with my account number on it and my driver's license.  I do try to be prepared, what more could she ask for!

She took my stuff, never said hello, how are you, nothing.  I'm ok with that part, I hate idle chit chat for the sake of chit chat.  However, her dismissiveness (is that a word?) to me made her a disgrace to her profession.

She cashed my check which I considered for a good amount of money.  She put a stack of money on the counter in front of me and WALKED AWAY!  Are you kidding me??  So in front of all of the cameras in the bank, and with enough flair to let her know how I felt about her attitude, I counted out all of my money to make sure it was all there.

Probably not a smart thing to do in downtown Elyria but now I'm pissed.

All of my money was there and accounted for so that was a good thing.  However, because this moron was in a bad mood and took it out on me, she shared that bad mood with me.  I left the bank after a one minute encounter with this broad feeling like shit and mad at the world. 

I did learn a huge lesson today.  So there, for all of you that thought I was too old to learn anything!

Attitudes really are contagious.  Who hasn't been in a so-so mood, came across someone that was just in a great mood and you took some of their great mood home with you.  And in reverse, this woman who helped put that dark cloud over my head for the next hour or so.

I'm going to try to remember this message.  If I'm in a bad mood, I will do my best if out in public to make myself smile.  Hopefully it might help someone else who is having a bad day or it will help me get out of my bad mood.  Either way, I will do my best to not spread the bad mood to perfect strangers.

I don't know peed in the teller's cornflakes today but I hope her day got better.  Luckily mine did.

No comments: