Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Need A Ride Home

The worst part about working for a living is the driving. I am to the point that it is taking everything in me to be in a car any more.

I hate driving. I hate it. People are idiots whether they are in Fords or not. I hate driving to the grocery store, to dinner, or on the highways and freeways. The car was the worst invention we have had to date.

This morning, coming to work, I was driving in on the Turnpike. In the right lane, is a car carrying semi. You know, the ones that load two stories worth of new cars on the backs of the semis? One of my many fears happens to be these semis. I'm always afraid a chain will snap and the last car that looks like it's barely on there anyway will come crashing down onto the road and into me. Whenever I am behind one of these semis, I will do my best to go around and get away from him.

So, into the middle lane I went and got around him. Shortly after that, I came to the construction sign that read left two lanes will be closing in one mile. Fine by me, I am back in the right lane anyway.

The closer I get to the one lane section, the more the traffic slows down. As we are crawling on in single file, the traffic suddenly stops. I can't see why we are stopped as there are so many vehicles in front of me, I just know I'm not moving. So I start looking around. I happen to look in my rear view mirror and what do I see bearing down on me? That car carrying semi. And he is coming up fast. I have nowhere to go as the barrels to the left of me won't let me go left and the car ahead of me is stopped like the car ahead of him, etc etc etc.

I start pumping my brakes so that hopefully he will see the red lights flashing and realize we are stopped. It doesn't seem as if he's paying attention. He is getting closer and closer and very quickly. When they say that right before you die you see your life flash in front of you, they aren't lying.

I left my lane, drove onto the berm and then on to the grass heading for the woods. I thought that was better than getting creamed by the semi. Sure enough, as I start moving over, I hear the screech of this idiot's brakes. I'm into the grass and he heads onto the berm so as to miss the car that was ahead of me. We are now three wide on a one lane road as the semi ended up pulling up along side me on my left, and to the right of the car that was in front of me.

Needless to say, I cried the rest of the way to work. Now I'm here and for once, I don't want to leave. Putting my life in danger for this job is so not worth it.

I know, I need to suck it up and get over it. Or I need to win the lottery. But in the mean time, can someone come pick me up? Or better yet, send a helicopter for me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about a jet that goes straight up? We call that a Harrier.
If all else fails, I do retire in two weeks and will be there by the first week of September. I will be almost happy and overjoyed to drive you to and from everywhere once I get there. My only question is --- will I need to get a chauffeur's hat to do this?

Your short Brother